Platy Aggression - Casualties and Injuries - URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

So I want to cut to this chase with this, basically I have one platy who is large - and territorial apparently, I discovered she was the reason I had random deaths. She killed two other platies so I was left with one other who she promptly bulled. I removed all of them reorganized and brought home two new fish - to add more then one to the tank.

Now I had since removed her as she has...

Bitten my Cory's fin - Bitten the platies... One has scales missing on his head... and well the reason I am posting here today is one has an eye that has been popped out... or bitten out or something...

I have a cute little gal who has an eyeball falling out of her head - it is still attached - she is swimming around happily like nothing is wrong... So my question is there anything I can do for her? Is she going to recover? Can I put her eye back in socket? Do I euthanize her? I mean what is the best option for her here?

Fish can certainly survive being partially blinded and live full, happy lives afterwards. I'm concerned though that the eye is still attached. That lends itself to all kinds of infections. Is there an aquatic vet anywhere near you who could at least remove the eye surgically? Poor fish. :( I'm so sorry, but I'm glad she doesn't seem to be suffering. Keep the water parameters absolutely pristine in the meantime, to avoid infection. I know some would suggest immediate euthanasia, but if she's clearly not suffering, I'd say at least check into possible veterinary intervention first. Good luck and keep us posted.

As far as aggression goes, you should consult a priest, your platy must be possessed. :what:

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish can certainly survive being partially blinded and live full, happy lives afterwards. I'm concerned though that the eye is still attached. That lends itself to all kinds of infections. Is there an aquatic vet anywhere near you who could at least remove the eye surgically? Poor fish. :( I'm so sorry, but I'm glad she doesn't seem to be suffering. Keep the water parameters absolutely pristine in the meantime, to avoid infection. I know some would suggest immediate euthanasia, but if she's clearly not suffering, I'd say at least check into possible veterinary intervention first. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am more then likely unable to afford taking her to a vet to be honest, college does things to your pocket! Is there anything I can do myself at all? She is still doing just fine this morning, and I am going to so a water change today!

Meanwhile my Platy who just gave birth now has some white on her tail and it looks like the fin is disappearing. Fungus I am guessing?

As far as aggression goes, you should consult a priest, your platy must be possessed. :what:

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I HAVE NO IDEA! Its so bizarre she attacked EVERYONE - meanwhile this aggression only started the past week, I have tried time outs etc. Now she is living in a separate place. I have no idea what her problem is.

I'm going to see if I can chase down a couple of expert friends of mine to weigh on what might be other possible solutions for your fish. Hang in there.

Did she have fry that got eaten by her tank mates? Defending eggs?

Nope! She isn't the one who was having the babies - momma now has a small infection on her tail - due to the nipping / stress of babies I am guessing/

Back
Top Bottom