platy died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

l18amd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys

woke up this morning to discover one of my platys had died during the night

when we went to bed last night all was well and infact we were sitting watching the fish for a good half hour and there was no strange activity at all.....

i tested the water and all was well

the strange thing was the bubble of cloud around the fish this morning which i have attached pictures of

i am worried about the best the rest of the tank but upon constant observation today all seems well just wondered if you had any thoughts on it

thanks for any advise you have

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 72
  • platy died in tank.jpg
    platy died in tank.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 75
Um I think cl2 is chlorine? I don't know how much but chlorine is bad for fish. Also an established tank should have some nitrate (no3). Did you cycle the tank?

I have poped some aqua plus in which removes chlorine the tank has been cycled. It sat for a month and I added In some Bactria to do fish less cycling and then added fish when I took the water o the store to get tested all was fine ever time
Before I add fish I get water checked only once I went down and it was all wrong which a couple of water changes sorted and I bought a test kit so I could monitor it I went back and looked again at my test strip and it is showing 0 no3 0 no2

Test strips are very inaccurate. The API liquid test kit is best. I don't think bacteria in a bottle is very reliable either. What other fish do you have in the tank?

I have 2 new angel fish 4 minnows 3 guppies I have a tertra liquid test kit for the Ammonia so at least I know that's accurate ? Right ? ?

You might need to upgrade eventually if you plan on keeping the angels. Not exactly sure what happened with your platy but I would keep and eye on the water parameters and try to get a full liquid test kit if you can. Do a pwc if ammonia goes over .25 ppm. Same with nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom