Platy fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shope.hannah

Aquarium Advice Freak
This picture doesn't do justice of what I have found on my platys fins. This fish has been through it all. Lasted through cycling. Ich. And fungus. I've had it for about 6 months. You can't see the the tail as much as you can its top fin but its really not rotting or anything like I've seen before. It's almost like the protective lining around the edges of all its fins have just evaporated. It's like little threads just sticking out everywhere. Any suggestions for what meds or anything I can do would be appreciated.

image-3037612761.jpg

Well the thing is I just noticed this after I did a large water change and gravel vacuuming... The fish has been through a lot but idk what brought this on. All my other ones are great and my water is clean. I will definitely do a water change though. The weird thing is, it's not on its side fins. Just the top and tail. Is that even considered fin Rot?

Yes! It's like it's spine has curved. And usually dr what I've heard they're born like that with a deformity. This one was fine and has just done that over time. There is no lining on its tail. It's totally jagged all the way across. It's top fin is the same way and I've been dosing with Melafix for three days. It has had fin rot before but it looked nothing like this and the meds and Salt cleared it right up. This is much more intense than that and I've also done salt and a water change today. It looks terrible. I don't even know how it's alive. But it eats and swims fine just like the rest. I've also noticed today the top of its body almost looks like dropsy in one spot but I dosed with a fungul med like three weeks ago for another fish so that should have took care of it. I'm at a loss of what to do.

so sorry :(
Was going to suggest treating it like a Bacterial & fungal infection. Those meds combined with really good water in a quarantine/hospital tank will help a lot.

Anytime your at your LFS even if you don't need it, or off the online retailers, grab a bottle of meds to treat Fin rot/Salt for Ich, Bacterial, and fungal Infections. Easier to get a jumpstart on it early rather than having to run out that night or the next day, in some cases there are infections that can wipe a tank out in hours :(

I had all that stuff. I had dosed for fungus a week or two before for my gourami that died. I was using salt then too. After it died I did a water change and salt for days. Then when I started noticing this one I did water changes and salt and dosed for fin rot for over a week. There were so many things wrong. I don't think it was fin rot. If there's such thing as just the body decaying from so much in the past, that's what I would say it was. Did you see it's body? It was curved like crazy. And it's tail was seriously just Falling off in strings.

Back
Top Bottom