Platy has a split fin..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, not sure if he is sick or not???
Just today ( i watch my fish all the time, so I know when something is new) my platy has a split top fin. I don't know what you call it, but it is the fin on the top of the fish, lining the back.. is that a dorsal fin??
Anyway, it is split vertically in the center. very strange. Why is it like this? Is he okay? Is there something I need to do? or this just something that happens?

Yep; tis the dorsal fin!

My angels usually have a split fin or 2 (in their case its from beating on each other..peaceful HAH!). He may have had a tiff with one of your other fish, or hit it on a decoration; it happens from time to time. If you've no bettas in that tank, go grab some Melafix if you don't already have some. Does an amazing job helping the fish heal mild fin damage.

Keep a close eye on it; if its just a split the Melafix should keep it from getting infected as well. But if it gets worse let us know; you may have to really medicate.

Angelfish are rather aggressive towards each other while trying to sort ou the pecking order.

after they have the hierarchy sorted out, they are really quite peaceful

Bwaahahaha you haven't met my angels William. Buncha fat pigs with attitude problems. Is why I ALWAYS keep Melafix on hand LOL

They may have been bred for the aquarium trade, but they ARE cichlids at heart *grin*

Thanks allivymar. Yes. I have the Melafix. One of my platys had some kinda rot or something on his tail fin a few months ago and you recomened melafix then.. :)
and it worked wonders!!! Thanks, I will dose them up again. :)

Allivymar said:
Bwaahahaha you haven't met my angels William. Buncha fat pigs with attitude problems. Is why I ALWAYS keep Melafix on hand LOL

They may have been bred for the aquarium trade, but they ARE cichlids at heart *grin*

Every fish has its own personality, I only offer info on what I've seen personally :)

belive it or not... the fishy healed itself?!?!
I was sick for a couple of days, so the fish (and the rest of the family) was neglegted for a few days. Well, I was able to feed everyone... well.. I was able to feed the fish. The hubby had to feed the kids and himself :wink:
Anyway, I was not able to dose with Melafix (which I love) nad Bam! His dorsal was normal!! Wierd... but glad :p

HOLLIEO, melafix is a great product for the aquarium, one of the best in my opinion :wink: but you should also remember that these things happen. Just one fish nipping another fish can split it fin, but fish will regrow there fins at an amazing rate. if your water conditions are good then the fish will not get any infections so there is no reason why it wont heal itself. I always say
If you look after the water, the fish will look after themselves. :lol:

You still have to do your bit of course. :D

Back
Top Bottom