Platy has SUNKEN BELLY??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female platy has a sunken belly... You can see her mate... and he is normal.
I haven't seen her eat in several weeks...
She had a batch of fry on January 1st & 31st...

Parameters are and have been steady at this level for months:

Ph- 8.0
Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

Temp- 80-82 degrees

Tank is a 20g Long. Inhabitants are the 2 platies & 20 or so 1/4" Molly fry. She seemed more active when it was just the two of them... I think she may be unhappy about the pesky kids running around... She has generally been shy & skittish with me... I've had her since December 24th.
I have the fry in there because they needed more room than in the 10g and I needed 10g for her teeny platy fry... I have about 25 of those.
She lays behind the stone rock or INSIDE the betta cave that's in there. Yesterday I found her laying on the betta leaf...

Any suggestions? I so wish I could make it the 2 of them again, but that doesn't seem to be able to happen right now.

View attachment 79313

This morning she's in the betta cave laying down.... Ignores me and other fish completely... Everyones eating but her...
She's got to be sick as opposed to just shy....
If she were just shy she'd scavenge for food at night and wouldn't be skinny... :-(
Any ideas?

View attachment 79392

Try feeding her peas with garlic? Maybe a dewormer med or somthing to help digestion?

Im very sorry about your platy..:'(

Mumma.of.two said:
Have you tried enticing her to eat with live/frozen foods like blood worms and brine shrimp?

She runs from me if I'm anywhere near the tank... She's terrified of me...darts immediately to other end of tank...

I'll try peas... And also brine shrimp... And add garlic juice in to entice her... I'll drop in front of cave.
Won't last long with babies in tank.. But ill be sure to put it in front of her..

Awww not momma platy. :(
Maybe try isolating her and feed her some worms? See if she'll eat without anyone around?

ocminpin said:
She swims around for a second and then lays there panting...
All parameters steady....

Awww she doesn't look good. I hope she gets better :(

Okay, so I tried something new in a last ditch effort to save Trixie before she literally starved to death..
First off.. My male, Meringue, had started hiding in the betta cave with Trixie and not coming out to eat.. So much that Trixie stayed out and he in...

Anyway, I moved them both to my 29g about 6 hrs ago to see if there was a behavior change in them...
Meringue has been swimming with other fish ever since and Trixie alternated from swimming to laying in the plant. I just fed the tank and TRIXIE RUSHED THE FOOD!
She must have been so upset with the Molly babies she really was depressed and shutting down... I don't know what was wrong with her being in with the Molly babies because they never bothered the platies, but who knows!

I'm grateful.. Hoping she gains her weight back steadily..

Trixie is no longer sunken... Just thin and actually noticeably gaining weight! She's obviously eating and more comfortable in the main tank... I'm not sure why she'd like it more--- there are more adults... I didn't think 16 Molly juvies who leave her alone would bother her so much she'd hide constantly and stop eating...
Water parameters same in both tanks!

View attachment 81822

She has deteriorated in the last 10 days and has been laying on her side for the last week. She's not eating. She occasionally struggles to swim up to surface then falls back down...

Is it time to help her out...? :-(

View attachment 83770

Back
Top Bottom