Platy Headed for Peril

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
She has just passed but I would like suggestions on what may have been wrong with her in case my other fish start to show the same symptoms.

She was a white platy that had suddenly gone pale in color and swam strangely. On her side, upside down sometimes, running into plants and the glass, etc.

All other fish are completely normal and happy. I've recently moved them to a new, bigger (28 gallon) tank and added new plants and two new female Mickey Mouse Platies so she may have been stressed.

Her tankmates were:
-7 other assorted Platies
-2 Mollies
-1 Golden Dojo Loach
-1 Weather Loach
-1 Plecostumus

Water:
Nitrates: 5.0ppm
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Temp: 76-80 degrees F

Last edited:
The only thing I can advise is that ammonia levels need to be at zero. So, do a water change to get that .25ppm level down to 0 right away. Your pH is rather high for Platys too. They do best at a neutral pH: 7.0 and below.

Not sure what all else. I am not good at illness advice since I have only had to deal with ick once before. But I do know that ammonia need to be 0, none present. It could be that bump on her head is a defect that is now starting to affect her as she matures.

I can never remember if its Nitrates or Nitrites that is bad, but thinking its the Nitrates. In that case you need to get that down too. A 40% water change should help with these problems. It looks like the tank has not cycled yet. Did you use the filter from the old tank? Anything from the old tank? That helps the cycle process.

I've had Platies for a year now, on my second generation! My pH has never changed and they were fine all the while before. My test only goes up to 7.5, and that's what color it matched. It may be that number or above, not sure.

I have the carbon filter (not the bio bag) from the old tank and two plants. The ornament is a pot in which was in my old tank before but was replaced with another ornament I now have sitting out.

I will do a water change soon to drop my Ammonia levels.

I believe your Nitrates and Nitrites are confused. Nitrites are the dangerous ones. My Nitrate and Nitrite levels are both safe.

Yep, the best way to move to a bigger tank is to move some stuff too.

I always get the Nitrates and Nitrites mixed up so rarely comment on them :)

I have never had much luck with platys, or guppies either. I think it's the supply here. I had a group of Guppy's once that all developed bent backs over time and died. I have had all my cichlids for over 2 years now, lot of fry. My tetras and Danios never have issues, its only live bears I seem to have trouble with, so I don't have them any more.

Hope the girl gets better.

I get those two mixed up too! I actually had to look it up to be sure.

She has just passed.

I would still like suggestions on what it may have been though in case whatever it was is contagious and my other fish start to show the same symptoms!

i honestly dont see the ammonia being the issue here. if it were, her gill would be red by now.

Move her out to a QT, boil some frozen peas, shell and mash them and feed it to her. she sounds like she has a swim bladder issue and/or constipated.

Back
Top Bottom