Platy mouth problem resurfaces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this blue female mickey mouse hi-fin platy who has had problems since the night I brought her home about two weeks ago, almost. First she had some fuzzy white stuff around her mouth that didn't really look like any photos of the mouth fungus stuff I looked up, so I didn't know what it was. I used pimafix and melafix on the tank, (ten gallon, and I took the plants out while medicating) and the mouth fuzz went away. Then she got ich, and it seems to have gone away since I started a heat/salt treatment. There are no ich spots on her now. I continued the use of pima/melafix throughout the salt treatment, and I will continue salt for another week at least. But now there was some more white fuzz on her mouth tonight, and when I scooped her up in a small plastic cube just now to properly photograph it, she seemed to have shed it off to reveal a little wound on her lip! Pictures below. Video below of her swimming. Maybe short, but she kept swimming at the back where my camera would not focus and that is the best footage I got. Also looks like an ich on her anal fin, but it wasn't there right after when I scooped her up for the mouth photos, so maybe it was just some particle that got stuck on her for a moment?

Anyone know what this is and how I should treat it? Mela/pimafix obviously is not helping.

The other female platy in the tank has not shown any signs of illness. Even when the blue platy had ich all over her, the red platy maybe only had one or two little ichs on her tail, which dropped off a day later. Both fish are active and eating well. There is also one little yellow fry in the tank that appears healthy as far as I can tell, but it is really small still. Honestly, if I lose it to medicating, I won't be too upset. The fry I got were going to end up as betta food anyway, if not for the illnesses that came along. (I'm fairly certain mama fish and her friend ate the rest of the babies.)

Water tests are the usual, no ammonia/nitrite, less than five nitrate. Scheduled two-gallon water change for tomorrow night.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 62
Also, is it just me or are her gill covers a little red? I'm pretty sure they were red when I bought her, but I feel like I should ask about that...

So, nobody knows what it is, then? The good news is that it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. Both fish are doing well. I've continued the melafix, pimafix, and salt. The weather has cooled down, so the tank's temperature has dropped down to 80 degrees f. I had it at about 86 thanks to the heat wave we had. Should I add a heater to raise it back to 86, or should I leave it as is?

Back
Top Bottom