Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Platy not eating, staying in the same spot

I've had my Platys for 2 months and recently one of my males has stopped eating and stays still at the back of the tank behind the filter output with heavy breathing. He also has white/clear faeces that are much thicker than normal. The other 7 platies in my tank seem healthy and are very active.

This all comes soon after adding some new plants to the aquarium and switching to a new filter (I did add the older filter media to the new one without letting it dry out). Current water conditions are: 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10-20 ppm Nitrates, I'm currently performing 35% water changes twice a week until the new filter catches up.

On advice from my LFS I'm dosing with this stuff: https://www.ntlabs.co.uk/browse-prod...-fluke-wormer/ Although I'm skeptical if this is the correct treatment as I didn't think worms or flukes caused a loss of appatite.

The pictures below are of the sick platy. He has some dark marks on his head near his gills too, I can't remember if these were there before and all the other orange platies have the same marks so I'm unsure if I should worry about them or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_160655.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	314407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_170527.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	314408  

Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clear poop can be caused from stress, a parasite or worms.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

I suspect your store is right and that he has some sort of parasite, perhaps introduced on the plants.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I suspect you're right. I'll continue the treatment for now. Thanks

Tags
eat, eating, not eating, platy, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com