Platy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mendhigirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tink my new platy has a problem.When I woke up this morning the platys head was kind of white,not like ick on it,but like its scales had been scraped off??Could have squeezed through a crevice in a cave,or something.Everyone else is fine,and the hurt one is swimming normally and eating.
I added some Melafix,for the boo-boo.And a little salt and raised the temp,in case the stress of the injury causes an ich outbreak(they have been with me less than a week).
Is this good?Should I do something else?
Thanks
Mendhi

is your platy any better now?

I used Melafix once to treat an ill tetra ... I was supprised it worked ... the poor tetra had something wrong with it, and it got so weak from not eating that it would just drift around the tank listlessly moved by filter current ... so I moved his tank mates out to another tank and started dosing melafix according to the instructions, in about two weeks, he was swimming normally, eating again and putting on weight (he had gotten very very thin) ... boy does that melafix stink though ... phew, like a doctors office or something

too bad it comes in such big bottles with such a short shelf life, had to toss a nearly full bottle away since it was several months past the date ... maybe if I'd kept it in the fridge I would have saved it longer

Well the Melafix doesn't seem to be doing anything,but stinking.
Her head is still white.How long does it take to re-grow scales anyway?She is otherwise fine.Eating normally,swimming around.I'm sure she'll be fine.I hope.

Melafix is supposed to treat open wounds and other injuries. I'd say just take the carbon out of your filter, add melafix each day for a week (follow the instructions on the box), then do a water change.

Back
Top Bottom