Platy Tail fin... Not sure if sick???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Platys has something wrong with her tail fin. I don't know if she is sick or if her tank mates are nipping at her tail? She looks and acts fine, but on the bottom part of the tip tail fin there is a little pice kinda missing. The edge of it (the fin tip) is a tiny bit color of white, so I don't know if it is a tear or more like fin rot. :? Does anyone know what this may sound like? I guess a picture would help. I am at work, but I will take one when i get home and post it... if that may be helpful.

Could be a combo of both HOLLIEO. One of her mates may have nipped her fin and an infection set in (generally that white edge is a sign of fin rot).

Doesn't sound terribly serious atm. I'd suggest treating with Melafix at this point. It has antibacterial properties, seems to help with fin regrowth and will not muck up your biological filter.

Good luck!

So, how should I treat then? I don't have a quarantine tank and I have a bunch of of other fish in with her as well. Last time i treated my tank for fin rot and ICK (different fish/differnt set up) the whole thing was blue for like a week. I am not sure what the directions are on the Melafix, but will it have the same effect? I think the stuff I used was called "Aquarium Products Anit-Fungus" and the dosage was 10 drops per gallon of water!! Wow! I was dropping for a while :lol: (I have a 20 gallon tank). And can I treat with the biowheel and filter cartridge (with carbon) in it? or should I remove? :?

Melafix can be used in the main tank with no serious side effects. Its a tea-tree oil based product. Won't harm your fish who are otherwise healthy, isn't dangerous to scaleless fish, won't muck up your filters, and is colorless. It does kinda smell funny tho LOL The only thing you'll need to do is remove the carbon while you are treating with it.

The directions are right on the bottle. If you decide to go with Melafix, buy the small bottle to see if it helps. If you like it, next time go buy the big pond size. Its a much higher concentration and you can dilute it to make it last a LOT longer.

Wow!! No blue color!!! That's great :!: I thought all my little fish were going to end up looking like Smurfs! :lol:
Well, I am going to go pick some up at lunch. I think the Petsmart here carries it. :D Thanks for all the info.

Wow!!! Awesome link!!! Thank you for all the info. I went and picked up a little bottle and will add some when i get home. I love getting helpful info like this, because I can help others as well.... when the time comes.
thanks again!!! :D

Revisiting an old thread here. I've got a Red Platy with this exact symptom right now.

Does Melafix have a generic name? I don't think I've seen that exact brand locally, but I'm sure there is a variant of it available, just need to know what to ask for.

This would be preferred to the medication that turns the water blue, because I'm currently going through ich treatment right now, and would prefer not to add any chemicals.

Does Melafix have a generic name?
I don’t know about generic names, but I have seen it in the US and Canada. Since you live on Planet Earth, I believe you will be able to find some :wink: If you can't find it locally, you can always order it through Petsmart or any number of companies.

I'm actually in Asia. During my lunch hour, I just went to 7 LFS's, and no luck, nor do they have anything that has the same composition (Tea Tree Oil). I'm gonna have to find a way to mail order it. Let's hope those Red Platies hold up for the 2 weeks or so it will take it to get here.

As far as medications, the most common are:

Tetra TetraMedica
Waterlife (a UK Brand, I think)
Azoo (largest local brand)

Then there are a bunch of local brands that I've never heard of, as well as some other European and Japanese brands here and there. One store has the Jungle Labs line of products, but that's the only store I've ever seen them at.

I should be able to get Melafix here in 2 weeks time. Since I'm going to continue the high temperature ich treatment in the main tank for 2 weeks, that's the soonest I'd be able to treat the Red Platies in QT with medications anyway, because the QT tank is currently occupied by the Cories while the main tank goes through ich treatment. Melafix is the only thing I'd feel comfortable adding to the main tank with the other fish.

BTW, what is the recommended dosage and duration of use for Melafix, just so I know how much to order? Can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Melafix is definitely available in Oz; I'm surprised no one was carrying it, especially when you consider the Tea Tree is indigenous to Australia. You might want to check online.

Dosage depends on what type you get. Regular Melafix is diluted and obviously requires more. I use the Pond Melafix (its concentrated) and it 1 tsp per 50g.

Do know Melafix is a very light antibiotic, and won't work for serious infections or ich.

Australian brands and products aren't that common here in Taiwan. Big name brands (like Tetra) aside, they are about as common as any other European or American brand would be, which is not very, so I guess it wouldn't matter that the Tea Tree oil is native to Australia.

Most LFS here prefer to stock local brands of products, because they are cheaper and sell better as a result of being cheaper. The imported brands that are really common and easy to find everywhere are Tetra, Kotobuki (Japanese brand), and to a lesser extent, Eheim. Other imported brands you might be able to find, but you really have to look for them.

Back
Top Bottom