Platy with Bloated Belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Hi-Fin Platy who I have had for seven weeks. Recently we introduced a new platy, who at first seemed timid, and then turned into the terror of the aquarium. The new platy stalked my old platy. Would not let her swim...eat...anything. Everytime my old platy (Patty) came out of her corner to swim or eat, the new platy (Penny) would agressively chase her back. Eventually Patty began to physically changed. She has noticeably bloated and for awhile her poo was white. We removed to isolation the new platy, and Patty is once again excreting normally and swimming around happily. The trouble is that she is still terribly bloated. Is it stress...overfeeding...dropsy...or is she pregnant. How can I tell. I have tried to include pictures. I don't know if they will help. Sorry to be so long about this post. Coleallensmom or Fort...maybe you could help with this...or anyone else please jump in. I love this fish and am worried about her:(.

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 265
Do her scales look pinecony? That's the sign for dropsy. :(

You can try feeding boiled, shelled peas, which are a laxative. Make sure you don't feed her the shell, just the inside. Frozen peas work best.

When fish are stressed, they will have white poo.

If she is prego, there could be a gravid spot. Googling would explain it better than I can. ;)

I do not see any of the pinecone markings. I specifically looked for that. Would constipation cause the bloating? She doesn't seem to be in any distress. I will try the peas tonight. Thanks so much for your response. Would stress cause her symptoms?

It could be caused from stress. Glad to hear she doesn't have the pineconing!!! :D Feed only the peas tonight, no more regular food for about 2 days, until she becomes un-bloated. You can do the pea thing again tomorrow too.

Coleallensmom...I am giving Patty her peas ( and basically everybody else because they keep sneaking in on her peas). She is "pooing" some and is maybe a little less bloated but still quite a bit bloated still. She is quite active and seems pretty happy. We are keeping Peggy away from her. We are taking Peggy back to LFS tomorrow ( sob..). It is amazing how upset I have been over these fishes!!! thank you for you concern.

Correction on previous post. The fish we are taking back is named Penny not Peggy...not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but I like to be accurate on details. Sometimes I type too fast and don't check for accuracy. Should have named her Terror...thought she was timid and scared..ha.

Update on my Platy, Patty. This morning when I checked her, she looked much better. The bloating is still there, but MUCH improved. Her poo is white though...is that from her problem or the peas? And she still is not doing much of it. Should I continue with the peas? It has been two days worth.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I would fast her for a day or two. The poo SHOULD be green from the peas, but she could be stressed, which would make it white. Parasites can also cause white poo though.
I would give it a couple of days, and see how she does. Glad she's looking better!!! :D

dkpate...Not only will I fast Patty for a day, but all of the fish. I understand it is good for them occasionally. If need be, I will fast her an additional day as well. I took back the aggressive fish and found out that she was a he, which explains why the fish was so aggressive to my two female platys. He showed them no mercy. He did not bother the younger Platy. It makes me wonder if the young one really is a female also since the male never bothered it. I wonder if we will soon hear the splash of baby Platy fins?

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Yeah, fasting is okay for fish. :D I don't fast mine, but I do feed peas once a week as a preventative.
Yep, that explains the brattiness!!! I wonder if Patty is bloated and prego?!?! You will know in a couple weeks I guess! Also, the livebearers can store sperm for around 3 months, so you might have a TON of baby platy flappy fins! LOL

My Platy, Patty, has taken a turn for the worse. She seemed to be improving...active..appetite...some pooing..little bit decrease in bloating. Today her bloating is much better but she has some scary behavior. She spends most of her time lying on the bottom of the aquarium, hiding in her favorite rock overhang. She seldom comes out, barely moving at all, and many times I think she is dead. When she does swim, it is very slowly. She has not had any elimination of waste that I have seen. She appears to be dying...then all of a sudden...out she swims. What is going on? Should I put her Dow...wait it out...give her time?!?! help! I am o upset. Tank is fine. All parameters are quite normal. The water is crystal clear and all of the other fishes are great. I did a 25% water change and vacuuming as part of my monthly maintenance so the tank is very healthy...just not Patty. Please...someone help. I don't want to lose my beloved fishy!

I had so typos in previous posting. I left off the "n" on the word down and the "s" on the word so.

Monthly maintenance??? You should be changing part of the water every week, that might be the problem. What exactly are your water readings?

I change the water EVERY Week and more if the readings call for it. I was just explaining that the water was in excellent condition. Obviously my wording got everyone upset!!

Also...I use Prime with each change as directed. My ammonia is 0, NiTrates are 5.0, Nitrites are 0, Ph is 7.0.

What is the water temp? And does that stay constant? Have you tested your tap water with the same tests.

Back
Top Bottom