Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRT843

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so tonight while I was asleep my filter somehow broke and the piece that sticks in the tank fell off and it sucked up my guppy and now he can barely swim. I don't know what to do and I hate for little guy to suffer, his tail looks badly damaged and is no longer full of color nor as big. He isn't dead though, he is currently flopping around the tank which is sad to watch but he has a fighting spirit. He is able to swim but doesn't have coordination and it looks like his left side got damaged as well because he is swimming up side down and in circles. I don't know what to do, he seems to be trying his hardest so I don't wanna give up on him, but I don't want him to be in pain.

Here is a drawing i did to show kinda what he looks like since the pictures don't show clearly what happened to his fins. The circled parts are gone and the right image is me trying to draw what is left. Some parts of the back fin are visible but no longer have color. He is alone in his tank so other fish can't attack him but can these fins grow back?

Attachments

• fish hurt.jpg
    fish hurt.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 45
Sorry to hear this... Just one of those unfortunate occurrences.

ID quarantine him in like 2.5g+ container with some hiding places. Daily water changes is sometimes the best remedy in cases like this. You could try a low grade salt bath to prevent infection. This would be around 1 tablespoon of AQ salt per 5 gallons.

Hope he perks up :)

Caleb

Update: He has passed on, I found him on the bottom of the tank this morning :(.

In the future you would put the male guppy in a hospital tank and treat with Furan 2 green or Methylene Blue and AQ Salt.
The hospital tank should just be a ten or 5 gallon tank filled with fresh water, nothing else necessary, just a bare tank.
Have fun, guppies are a interesting hobby and a great way to learn all there is to know about fish husbandry.

Back
Top Bottom