Please help! Angelfish keep dying overnight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just joined here and this is my first post so forgive me if I screw stuff up. Also, i'm typing this at school currently. So that's why I might not know all of my information to a t.
So, recently I bought an angelfish from petsmart, which is my closest pet store. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house. It sucks. And since I don't have my license, my grandpa drives me there once a week (if I need to go) to get what I need. Well, I knew then my ph was a little high (8.0) but I figured it'd be okay. My nitrites were also at 60. But I didn't have the money for anything else but the little $5 guy so I figured he'd be okay. Big mistake. Poor thing died that night. So then the next week I got a ride from my grandpa, and he took me their again. When they tested my water they told me nitrites were good and the pH at 8.0 wasn't that bad and said it's safe to try again. So I did. I brought home little Sky.
However, that night he died! So this time, I waited two weeks to save up money from my weekly checks from work. I save half at a time so I waited two. During the first week of working, ich BROKE OUT in my tank. I treated it with heat and salt, but it just didn't clear up. So then I got some ich kill from a friend of mine and it completely cleared up around Thursday.
So then yesterday, my grandpa took me back to store and what a surprise! There was a PAIRING couple! One was a beautiful white I named Moondancer. The other was white with a black spot around it's eye and one little black stripe I named Bullseye. While there, I bought a pH neutralizer and API quick start to eat away any possible ammonia in the water (it also kills nitrites). It is to be added when starting a tank OR adding fish. So I bought the pair with that stuff and as I let the bag float I put in the quick start and the pH neutralizer before introducing the new pairing angels so I wouldn't shock them with the changes immediately. After about 20 minutes, I netted the angels into their new tank. I watched them swim around with my other fish, and everyone got along great! No one was nipping fins or chasing. I Tested my water and everything was normal. the pH 7.0, the nitrates 0, the nitrites at 10. So after a successful day with Moondancer and Bullseye, I went to bed.

But when I woke up this morning, both of them were dead!!! What happened??? I tested my water again this morning and everything was still good! I'm not sure what happened but I'm terrified of losing more fish! My tank is heated, properly cycled... I don't know what's wrong! Please help!
I have a 55 gallon tank
Inhabitants:
2 angelfish, one full grown and one young one
2 red eye tetras
4 black skirt tetras
7 mollies
3 platys
A breeder tank inside of the tank only quarter a gallon with 4 molly babies in it (selling the babies!)

Please help me! Thank you!

Is the tank heated? Angels like it around 78-80 degrees.

Also, you should acclimate new fish to the water parameters as well as temperature. This means either running a drip line from the tank into a bucket containing the fish. This means making a knot in some airline tubing and starting a siphon so the water drips into the bucket for an hour.

Or, you can float the bag for 15 mins, then begin adding a cup of your tank water every 10 mins until you fill the bag up twice.

I'm sorry about your angels :(

Is the tank heated? Angels like it around 78-80 degrees.

Also, you should acclimate new fish to the water parameters as well as temperature. This means either running a drip line from the tank into a bucket containing the fish. This means making a knot in some airline tubing and starting a siphon so the water drips into the bucket for an hour.

Or, you can float the bag for 15 mins, then begin adding a cup of your tank water every 10 mins until you fill the bag up twice.

I'm sorry about your angels :(

You must have missed some of the wording. My tank is heated at 80 degrees. And I did float the bag to prevent temperature shock. They floated around 15-20 minutes while I added the quick start and the pH regulator.

Thank you, I was crying SO HARD this morning when I found out :'(

How long have you had your tank setup? How long has it been stocked? Tell me about how the fish looked when they passed? We're there any abnormalities about them? Something isn't going right in your tank and I'll do my best to try and help out. :)

Sorry about your angels. :( they are my favorite fish.

I keep my angels in a ph of 8 and they do really well. I'm confused about your test results though. You originally said your nitrates were at 60ppm with the first and angel and then with the other two the nitrates were 0 and nitrites were at 10, did you mean to say nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 10?

Also as George said instead of just floating the bag, which may acclimate the fish to you temp but does not acclimate them to your water conditions. You can use a bit of airline to slowly siphon water from your tank into the bag so the fish gets use to your water parameters before being dumped in, or you can use a measuring cup or small bowl to add a cup or half cup of tank water at a time over an hour or so, once the bag gets full ish, dump some of the bag water and start adding tank wate again. It really is easier on the fish, especially if you have higher nitrates(I do one water change, 50% a week and my nitrates don't ever get over 20ppm) or hight nitrites which are toxic to fish...

I keep my angels in a ph of 8 and they do really well. I'm confused about your test results though. You originally said your nitrates were at 60ppm with the first and angel and then with the other two the nitrates were 0 and nitrites were at 10, did you mean to say nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 10?

I meant to say that my nitrites were originally at 60. Sorry
I've Never had a problem with nitrates.
Nitrates are 0
Nitrites USED TO BE 60 and are now 10

I meant to say that my nitrites were originally at 60. Sorry
I've Never had a problem with nitrates.
Nitrates are 0
Nitrites USED TO BE 60 and are now 10

I think you're mixing up nitrites and nitrates. Your nitrATES were probably 60 (but now 10) and your nitrites are 0. I don't know of a test kit that measures up to 60 ppm for nitrites

Also if your nitrites were at 60 pretty sure all your fishes would be goners. I would just be more careful about acclimating, also if there is already and adult angel in the tank that could be your problem. Try taking the adult angel out and rearranging the tank before adding any new inhabitants. Them give them some time to get situated before adding the adult back in.

If your tank is cycled (look up the nitrogen cycle if your not already familiar) you should not have any nitrites or ammonia you need to worry about anyway. If your not cycled and have ammonia or nitrite that could be your problem. Do you have an API master test kit? It's a liquid test kit to tast your water parameters and is supposed to be much more accurate then strips.

The above posts are good advice. You should look on You Tube " fish acclimation" for some pointers on introducing your new fish. Nitrites are very toxic. Hopefully yours are at 0.

Thank you for all the help everybody.. Unfortunately, there'sbeen a catastrophe in my tank and half of my fish died... I'm posting a new thread asking for help on what to do.

Back
Top Bottom