Please help asap!!! Im afraid im going to lose my whole tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KelsiDaisi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help with what this is fish in video about to die. Don't want to lose my entire tank. :( I can't figure out how to upload my video but you can find it on YouTube
under Sick fish?!! Kelsey

Last edited:
Please help with what this is fish in video about to die. Don't want to lose my entire tank. :( I can't figure out how to upload my video but you can find it on YouTube
under Sick fish?!! Kelsey

post the link to vid

Is that tank cycled? Did you use some kind of meds? Kind of looks like the slime coat coming off. I had a loach with something similar after using some meds.
Also are there other fish in the tank?
Could they be attacking this one?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes tank is cycled about 3 months old. Has 2 angels another ram and 8 tummy nose tetras . I did medicate with a cure all I thought he had hole in the head. And he started to heal then just started sitting on the bottom of tank and shortly after passed. Should I worry for my other fish??

It almost looks like an injury to me more than anything but who knows. I think your other fish are prob fine

I looked at your video, and it looks to me like your fish has ich. Ich is very deadly and extremely contagious. You may want to treat the tank with "Ich Attack," "CopperAid," or other Ich medications. Treat ASAP. Also, while your fish has ich, they are very stressed and vulnerable, making them an easy target for bacterial infections. You may also consider treating the tank with a medicine that provides a temporary synthetic slime coat, which will: (a) help fight injury/infection, (b) protects them, (c) keep their stress level down and reduce vulnerability. Also, API Melafix can/will treat any bacterial infections the fish may have or could soon get.

I hope this helped you and your fish, and feel free to let me know if I can help you in any other way!

Lauren Pauly

Turn up the temperature to 86F and leave it there for at least ten days. That's really all you need to do. Just do it gradually over a period of a couple days.

You guys think that looks like ich? Looks like fuzz to me which seems like slime coat or even the scales and skin being torn up. I had a platy that had a wound from my driftwood that looked similar

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That doesn't look like any kind of ich I've ever seen... Looks more like an injury that became infected. If no other fish look like this, that's probably what it is. If there's any bacterial issue, cranking the heat will make it worse. If it's simply fungal, higher heat may help. It appears fungal, but may have started as a bacterial infection first. Still, appears as though this particular fish had an injury that wasn't caught in time. It happens. Fish fight or get stuck in decor. Just keep a close eye on the rest of your fish for awhile and do a little extra with your water changes to try to keep the water as clean as possible.

Yes tank is cycled about 3 months old. Has 2 angels another ram and 8 tummy nose tetras . I did medicate with a cure all I thought he had hole in the head. And he started to heal then just started sitting on the bottom of tank and shortly after passed. Should I worry for my other fish??

Out of interest were you seeing a hole or such (and if so whereabouts), and what meds did you then try?

Off-hand I have seen a few cases of white spot clumping together but the white, salt grain appearance was still there.

So when it started happening I had 2 german blues. 1 male and one female. They were fine then the female lost all color but seemed to act normal that lasted about 2 weeks the she abruptly died, no wonds no weird behavior nothing just gone. Then about a week to week and a half after I notice a white hue to the top of the males head, then it started turining into more of a hole hense why i though it was hole in the head but it was white a little odd. After a while I noticed a pink almost blood like color to it. So i treated witha cure all that worked for hole in the head. It healed over to that think white then I did a water change and when I looked again he was on the bottom of the tank and with in hours dead. the white stuff that healed over almost looked like scar tissue. but when I looked closer it was all slimy and almost fuzzy like :ermm: im really not sure whats going on im so afraid ill loose the rest of my fish which are the ones i began my hobby with so im a little attached to this tank I really just dont understand.:nono:

yes i did see a hole but it started as just white skin the began to open up. i treated with api general cure. and it seemed to heal it. until he died.

Also the only other fish that has anything is one of my angels has a white dot on the top of a front fin but its been there a long time and seems to not spread almost like a scar...

really sounds like the slime coat was coming off. Like I said I had a loach that it happened to when I used paragaurd then prazi pro. I thought it was a fungal thing but I think he just reacted weird to the meds. I felt awful and he did pass but there wasnt much I could do.
Im no where as experienced as most of the people on the forum but from what ive learned rams are pretty delicate fish. Ive gone through a few and they never seem to last very long. They need really clean water 24/7 (check) and stress super easy. I had a ram spaz out, stop eating and die simply because I trimmed my plants and he lost his spot. Granted he was an electric blue and they are glass cannons per say.

Keep an eye on the other fish and see what happens. The one who died may have just been a dud.

In the future though my fav meds are the prazi, the paraguard, heat and salt.
Get a GOOD heater for those times you have to crank it up.

really sounds like the slime coat was coming off. Like I said I had a loach that it happened to when I used paragaurd then prazi pro. I thought it was a fungal thing but I think he just reacted weird to the meds. I felt awful and he did pass but there wasnt much I could do.
Im no where as experienced as most of the people on the forum but from what ive learned rams are pretty delicate fish. Ive gone through a few and they never seem to last very long. They need really clean water 24/7 (check) and stress super easy. I had a ram spaz out, stop eating and die simply because I trimmed my plants and he lost his spot. Granted he was an electric blue and they are glass cannons per say.

Keep an eye on the other fish and see what happens. The one who died may have just been a dud.

In the future though my fav meds are the prazi, the paraguard, heat and salt.
Get a GOOD heater for those times you have to crank it up.

Thank you! I'm wondering if he was a dud but he lasted a few months. I heard a lot of the rams are pumped up to make them show their color and it happens to kill them too. I also found out my ph has been bouncing between 8-8.5 no matter what even if I change the water I added driftwood no difference, I do have stones from rivers and beaches in their also (petoskys and fossils) dont know if those can make my ph raise but I test my water before I put it in the tank and it is at 7.5 so something happens instantly when I add it to the tank. I mean INSTANT. I'm trying to figure a way to lower ph in case that's what did him in I still currently have 1 female ram left if she goes I think im done getting rams. Amazingly Rummy's I heard are super sensitive too but I have had absolutely no problems with them what so ever. The angels on the other hand I know are hardy (at least the ones I have) they have been with me through my days of scrubbing the tank with soap and no heater. :huh:eek:

Back
Top Bottom