Please help, dead fish. Rest are breathing heavy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just checked my tank and my two pictus cats and silver dollar are DEAD/... the rest of fish are on bottom breathing heavy???What should i do?

Do an immediate water change - 50%. Make sure to use dechlorinator and match the temperature of the replacement water to the tank water.

After the water change, try to pinpoint the problem - account for all the fish. Is it possible that some died a day or two ago? That can cause an ammonia spike and affect the remaining fish.

Is the heater working properly - temperature not too hot or cold? Is the filter running - nothing is clogging it?

How old is the tank and is it cycled? What size tank is it and how many fish? How did the fish look after your last water change?

If you have test kits, post ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings.

i got 0ppm ammonia...... .5 nitrite and didnt do nitrate....well I had two catfish die last night and one silver dollar today...then all were on bottomm breathing heavy...just did 50 percent and added aquasafe

Definatly check the temperature and add an air stone if you havn't already to oxygenate the water. It sounds like your fish are suffocating

What is your temperature reading? How full, water wise, is your tank (i.e. is there enough surface area to obtain enough oxygen)?

Add an airstone/airpump

The silver dollar's eyes look foggy, probably due to the poor water quality. The nitrite reading is high. Too much nitrite can prevent them from getting oxygen - I have read that it's similar to carbon monoxide poisoning in us. Keep doing water changes to get the nitrite down. It sounds like your tank is not cycled completely, or going through a mini-cycle.

yeah now both silver dollars are dead and my firemouths and jaguar arent looking too good..should I do another 50 percent change tonight and treat them with anything?

What are your water parameters now?

If your fish aren't getting enough oxygen, again, add an airstone and run an airpump to oxygenate the water

Back
Top Bottom