Please help! Golden Ram has a pimple on his head!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

On December 10th I came home and like always went to check on my tank. I immediately noticed my golden ram (around 1 years old) had a faint looking pimple on his head. First thing I did was move him to a QT tank that I had done 2 very large water changes prior to putting him in to remove any nitrates. There are a few plants and snails in the tank. Temp is being kept at 82 and i don't run lights while he has been in there to encourage him to rest as much as possible. he has been showing no signs of feeling ill, but the spot is there.

I think it could by hith but thats my best guess.

Anyways bring us to today, 10 days later, he is still perfectly fine it seems. The spot is not really any bigger and almost appears as its flush with the rest of his scales. not raised. but it is whiter looking then 10 days ago. He still has all his wonderful energy, color, and appetite. I have been treating with 2tsp per 5 gallons of salt, prazipro @ 1tsp for up to 20g, and 2 scoops of metro that gets disolved in water before going into the tank. Anytime i have done a large wc I redose appropriately. I realized today on the prazipro bottle it says not to use with other med, oops. Not sure what effect that has though. I dosed the prazipro as a precaution thing because i am not sure what it is. I know prazipro treats for parasites and such. Metro is supposed to be good for hith and salt is just added measure of relieving a bit of stress and prevent ich.

So... today i just did a large 60-70% wc and redosed the salt, prazipro, and metro. metro i been doing every 2 days as directed. and prazipro once a week. salt once a week or replenish after a wc.

Any thoughts on what it is or how long its going to take to get better if it ever will? can i do anything else? raise temp to 84 maybe? daily wc? only reason daily wc would be tough is due to meds being constantly stripped from the water.

BTW the QT is a 15g.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I feel good about him pulling through this as its been 10 days and doesn't appear to be getting much worse. just more whiter. He is no sluggish at all. My main tank with 60+ other fish are all fine and show no similar signs or any other sign of illness. My 75g water parameters are always solid with nitrates never really exceeding 10ppm-15ppm and its heavily planted with weekly waterchanges of 50% ish.

any help would be great. I will see if I can get some pics right now to show his current state. keep in mind by tonight it will have been 10 days in QT.

Seriously think you may be overanalyzing a bit. He appears VERY healthy and active. Ive seen sick fish and after 10 days of meds and being alone, he is still looking that great? He is fine.

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback and while I would love to agree I still see this spot / tiny bump that I know should not be there. While he may likely get through this I just wish I would see it go away.

Don't want to risk the rest of my tank. So many of my beloved pets.

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback and while I would love to agree I still see this spot / tiny bump that I know should not be there. While he may likely get through this I just wish I would see it go away.

Don't want to risk the rest of my tank. So many of my beloved pets.[/QUOTE

Looks like a benign tumor, I honestly don't think it will go away without manual removal which is not recommended. Does it look at all like ich?

100% does not look like ich.

If you google bump on ram or ram pimple you will see other similar cases. Is those that I have read about the thing get large and bust open and shortly after the fish dies.

Interesting update.

Went to check on the patient and noticed the white stuff was pushed out about 1/16th of an inch. I watched him as he swam around and next thing I know the pimple like white stuff had come off. Whats left is still a faint bit of white but its now flush with the scale. No hole or crater or anything like that. Looks like if you squeezed a pimp and got most of the gunk out but still a bit left.

Doesn't seem like there is any irritation or infection there which is promising.

Not sure if this is good or bad but seems like the body could be expelling the bad stuff from the sensory glands. Fingers crossed.

Will be watching closely as always. Really don't want to lose this fish. I told him is he pukks through he is getting a female friend ;). Little bribing might help :)

They say the same to martyrs... careful;) glad he's on the mend..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hope this is a sign of getting better and not progressing to the next stage. Only time will tell.

if anything it's progress.. body expels pollutants right?? Maybe a nice wc to clear the debris? Supposedly garlic is a natural immune booster, couldn't hurt??

Just soak some flake in garlic juice..

Today Joe aka my golden ram is looking great. The spot is pretty much gone. no hole no nothing. just a tiny mark left. I think we may have beat this

I am going to keep him there for maybe another 4-5 days just to make sure everything stays good and continues to improve. Since HITH is not really transferable I am not to worried about returning him to the main tank in a week.

I am 99% sure it was never any internal parasite like a worm or something simply because his diet was always very good and he never rejected food or became lethargic or had bad poops.

I am so happy that my ram is doing good, just wanted to share the update with you guys.

Good news. Get him a gf now..

Yeah I am, I found some not to far away. Gotta go check em out. Charging $16 a piece though :(

I only paid $9 for Joe.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's not to bad, may as well keep the qt up for her huh?? I just added 2 rummynose tetras straight to the display, it was oh so nerve racking..

Yeah I was planning to keep it up as its been up for many months now.

She will go in and hopefully be okay in there for a few weeks.

I don't think I could put a random fish in my display tank without a QT. Unless I knew the source and a bit of the fish history. Like fish from friends or things like that is a little different.

I havnt in a while. the only reason I did is because I've been watching them at my lfs for a few weeks and they're in closed system tanks, all looked very healthy and acted normal, total gamble though..

Not really that big of a gamble. I did the same with my pearl gouramis and I felt fine with them going right in. It worked out too

Back
Top Bottom