Please help. Goldfish gill flukes, ick, or else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanut12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am new to the forum. I posted this question in another forum but it has been a couple of days and have not received any responses.

I purchased four 3-4 inch Ryukin Goldfish online (overnight delivery) and I received them on Tuesday. I put them in my fully cycled 20 gallon long QT (0 ammonia and 0 nitrites using API liquid test). I know 20 gallon is small but after QT they will go into my 75 gallon long and I am doing bi-weekly water changes of around 50% water and the temperature is 72 deg F.

Three of them are doing well so far and are settling in, however, one of them is constantly breathing very heavily, as if he is suffocating. The breathing of the other three healthy ones is very relaxed. He does not have any obvious external signs of disease except for a tear in his caudal fin that occurred during shipping. There are some small white marks on the tip of caudal fin, and one white spot on his right gill. He looks lethargic and keeps to himself near the bottom of the tank, and seems to not have strength to get out of tight spaces (also not eating).

My first diagnosis was gill flukes so last Wednesday, I did a 50% water change and started treating with Hikari PraziPro, and also added Melafix for his fin tear. Am I on the correct path here given these symptoms? I am concerned it could be ich but I do not see spots all over the body (except something on his right gill). It has now been 3 days and there has been no improvement at all, he is actually getting worse and I am getting desperate since I have medicines but I do not know what to treat!

Here are some slightly better photos and you can see there is actually some white bump on his right gill. The white spot looks like a puss dot inside his normal white mark on his right gill.

Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 7,264
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 3,292
He looks fine to me.
If your overly concerned.....
Acriflavine is cheap and avaliable at walmart, parasite clear or something. It would do a good job on his fin tear and possible "ick".
I dont use or reccomend melafix. But others do, so im just gonna say no opinion on that.
Im not sure on the gill flukes....but if you think so OFC then hey by all means feed medicated food, its a good idea to do that in Q anyways. I do.
Looks more like abrasions on his tail that bacteria/fungus has set in. Anyways the acriflavine is a anti-fungal as well.

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. He appears fine in those particular photos but he is actually resting at the bottom almost all the time. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I can see into his gill, and they appear discolored with a hint of white. The other fish's gills just look red as I would expect. Unfortunately, I also cannot feed medicated food because he is no longer eating.

Sounds like he was ammonia/nitrite posioned in the bag.
Methylene blue in the Q tank with the filter removed will work.
Dont kill your BB with it tho,or stain anything, its permanant.
M. Blue works good for fish that have been shipped.
It should only run you about $6 at a good fish only store.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-905781-73462K-fish.jpg
You can get it for $2.58 online, don't pay more than 7 or 8 bucks for it.
He is a very nice fish, and im sure this medicine will help him.
(y)

Well, I just got back from the store and he was just floating along in the water column, still breathing, but not moving his fins. I decided to euthanize him to stop his suffering.

I am very frustrated but lesson learned. My only hope now is to keep the other three healthy. Since I did a water change this morning, I think I am going to wait until tomorrow and do another water change while vacuuming the bottom of the tank just to be safe. I am going to try to take some photos inside his gills later tonight. Unfortunately, I do not have a microscope. I would still like to know if it was a disease or ammonia/nitrite poisoning in case the others become ill too.

Back
Top Bottom