PLEASE HELP! Guppies fin damaged!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy_226

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey friends! i got some problem with my fishes. so i just cycled my new tank and bought 8 guppies, 6 female and 2 males. after i bought it added to my new tank and i left to work but when I'm back i realize that most of my female guppies' fin are DAMAGED!! ONE OF THEM EVEN HAVE DEFORMED BONE. I'm not sure when it happen or how, just wanna know how can i cure them? my heart really breaks when i saw it :'( PLEASE HELPPP...
:(

Can you provide some pictures?

Some more info will also help:

How was the tank cycled?

Water parameters?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:

Caleb

Can you provide some pictures?

Some more info will also help:

How was the tank cycled?

Water parameters?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:

Caleb

Sure! give me a few minutes.
the tank is fully cycled with Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 nitrate 10-20

first one the fin is a bit transparent
second is obvious
third half of the fin is gone and a little bit deform
last one i pity this one the most deform and most of its fin is gone!

Attachments

• 11857499_10207640245713031_1061919444_n.jpg
    11857499_10207640245713031_1061919444_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 11908255_10207640245793033_2080957782_n.jpg
    11908255_10207640245793033_2080957782_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 11908262_10207640245313021_43052283_n.jpg
    11908262_10207640245313021_43052283_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 11913298_10207640245593028_80011244_n.jpg
    11913298_10207640245593028_80011244_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 93
Could be some aggression in the males. I would watch closely and see if any harassment is taking place.

A water change should also keep lower nitrates and clean water is great for fin repair.

Caleb

Could be some aggression in the males. I would watch closely and see if any harassment is taking place.

A water change should also keep lower nitrates and clean water is great for fin repair.

Caleb

im not sure when i'm working but now the males are not harassing the female.. now what else can i do for them? will they die??

Most fish will not die from some minor fin damage. If you really wanted you could do a salt bath of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water to help recent disease as it builds up slime coat increasing their resistance. If you have live plants or invertebrates I would do this in another tank or container.

Caleb

That's more than minor fin damage, I don't see that regrowing and I don't see the fish living.

That's either some serious fighting or poor water quality on top of some aggression. Water conditions will need to be pristine for this to heal.

I am concerned about how quickly this happened and the one with the bent back. Is there any way they could have got hurt on a pump or filter? One of mine looked like that when the intake pipe of my filter pump fell off and part of her got sucked into the fan.

If you want to try antibiotics, I have had luck using Maracyn2 on guppy tail rot.

two of the bent back died and i flushed them. :'( this is my first time purchasing fishes, i went back to the lfs and realize that most of the guppy in the tank are in this condition... now i only have 2 males and 4 females left, they are happy i think, but 4 of the females' fin are damaged.. we don't have maracyn 2 in Malaysia, i have to order from the US and it's very expensive.. I'm trying to look for melafix, is it okay?

Lucy, bent spine and ragged fins are a sign of Fish Tuberculosis....a serious disease that is virtually incurable. Look at the store or on your fish for any open red sores. It is also transmittable to humans, so don't reach into the tank with any open cuts or sores on your hands or you could get major tissue damage on your own hands.
Fish TB is rare in guppies, but since you said "many of the fish look like this" i would go check the store and look for any pictures of fish like this, and definately don't buy any more from them. https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...z-sMcCFcvTgAod4PsAPA&biw=1920&bih=955#imgrc=_
Don't ever buy sick guppies, because once they get sick they die easily and medicine is not the best approach although it does pay to keep something for parasites like malachite green and or formalin, and an antibiotic on hand.
Melafix is not great but has thearaputic properties. If you want to get antibiotics in the future, look for an online site that has antibiotic food. ALways better to put antibiotics in the fishes food, in the water it does not help much. You must also understand the diffrence between Gram + and Gram - bacteria, and also aerobic or anerobic to understand bacteria in fish, and how its brought on by stress poor diet or overcrowding or poor water quality. Good Luck

Lucy, bent spine and ragged fins are a sign of Fish Tuberculosis....a serious disease that is virtually incurable. Look at the store or on your fish for any open red sores. It is also transmittable to humans, so don't reach into the tank with any open cuts or sores on your hands or you could get major tissue damage on your own hands.
Fish TB is rare in guppies, but since you said "many of the fish look like this" i would go check the store and look for any pictures of fish like this, and definately don't buy any more from them. https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...z-sMcCFcvTgAod4PsAPA&biw=1920&bih=955#imgrc=_
Don't ever buy sick guppies, because once they get sick they die easily and medicine is not the best approach although it does pay to keep something for parasites like malachite green and or formalin, and an antibiotic on hand.
Melafix is not great but has thearaputic properties. If you want to get antibiotics in the future, look for an online site that has antibiotic food. ALways better to put antibiotics in the fishes food, in the water it does not help much. You must also understand the diffrence between Gram + and Gram - bacteria, and also aerobic or anerobic to understand bacteria in fish, and how its brought on by stress poor diet or overcrowding or poor water quality. Good Luck

OMG it looks serious and its transmittable?? i just putted my hand into the water to add plants but there's no open cut on my hand. the 2 fish with bent spine are died and my other 6 guppy looks normal, so far there's no any bad signs. those bacteria you mentioned is very new to me. going to google for it now. and they say guppies are for beginner.. this is too much for me :'(

Yes guppies get sick very easily. They are pretty and as long as its not a few certain types of bacteria or parasite, usually they can be cured easily with the right medicine. Some diseases to look out for are
Neon Tetra Disease, NTD, Tetrahyemea
Flexibacteria Columnaris
Mycrobacterium Fish TB
Gill Flukes/ Flukes
Internal parasites/ Hole in the Head/ Callaprai nematode or callamunus worms

These all are pretty hard to cure, although the bacteria Columnaris can be cured using either Kanamycin or Oxytetracycline hcl. in their feed.
Ususally guppies Get bent spines from inbreeding, so you do not have to worry, just don't suck on a tube or get any in your mouth, and if you do get sores on your hands, go to a doctor and tell them you have fish with TB because the type of TB that affects fish is very diffrent from the type that affects humans, so you don't have to worry very much, i didn't mean to scare you, just advise you.

Back
Top Bottom