Please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looked Into my tank today and all of my black skirt tetras are turning red in some spots on there body let me know what you think I don't have a test kit I never have ill get one next week sometime ill do a big water change now

Attachments

• image-1000567810.jpg
    image-1000567810.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 65
Looked Into my tank today and all of my black skirt tetras are turning red in some spots on there body let me know what you think I don't have a test kit I never have ill get one next week sometime ill do a big water change now

I'm pretty new, so you should see what others have to say too, but I've had this happen to my fish and found out that it was ammonia poisoning. You should definitely get the test kit and do a water change. Maybe get Prime too, but you need to know your water parameters.

Test asap, big water change like 75% and Prime if/when you can get it.

Don't wash your filters in untreated tap water, and keep the filter pads you have till they are falling apart. Just in case you didn't know. It kills the BB.

Also maybe feeding too much or had a bigger fish die?

I was told not to change my filter, I hadn't changed it and my water conditions only got worse. With up to 75% water changes daily. So I got online and found out my filter has 2 different filters. One for filtering the crap out of my tank(the actual filter with the carbon stuff in it) and a second one called the bio filter(mine looks like a black sponge) this one holds all your delicious bacteria. If you have the second filter then good. Change your actual filter every month or so, or once you start getting back flow.

If you don't have a bio filter you can cut up an UNUSED sponge and put it in the filter tank to house your bacteria. Don't change the sponge only the carbon filter.

And add some prime if you can.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long read.

Rinsing the filter in treated tapwater is ok, gently getting out the crud and poop, even vigorous tapping and swishing, but scrubbing with fingers or brushes will wash them away.

Don't confuse cleaning with not changing it. I have filter pads which are appx 2 years old and some less. I swish them and tap them to remove gunk, and rinse them ONLY in treated water, so they can continue filtering out bad gunk and leaving the water filtered by the BB.

I am running 2 filers not my original one is this one in the pic below and I put my spare hang on back one I'm gonna buy some more filter pads for the HOB my internal filter just has this black sponge stuff in it I just swish it around in old tank water every couple of week

Attachments

• image-2888159116.jpg
    image-2888159116.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom