Please help me! Urgent!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my water a little a while ago and ammonia was super high, about .5, after I had just changed the water. One of my cories has been super lethargic over the past few days and I suppose that's why. A few hours ago I saw my platy with clamped fins and spazzing out, so I put him in quarantine. He was fine as soon as I moved him. Now the rest of the fish in my tank are either lethargic or twitching. I think they are dying from the ammonia. I changed the water again and saw that my black tetras were completely white. Help me!

Please, anyone, help me! I don't want them all to die. When I saw my platy looked better, I put him in the main tank but he is clamping his fins again.

The fish have improved slightly. Numbers are still bad after water change #3, but hopefully getting better.

There is literally no such thing as too many water changes, keep doing 50% pwc's until you're in good levels.

You can also double up on Prime without ill effects. That will help detoxify the ammonia / nitrites.

How long has the aquarium been set up? Perhaps you have another thread I haven't seen, but assuming it's a new tank cycling with fish?

problem with so many water changes is that it stresses the fish, also very tiring for me because I have to carry the water up steep stairs one gallon at a time.

New fish added recently?

Have you tested the water straight out of the tap? If .5 wasn't a typo, it's not unheard of to see that in city water.

And honestly stressing the fish from water changes is of zero concern to me. They get used to it and will always appreciate clean water over toxins.

Do you have a Python or other water changer?

I just tested the tap water, and unless the test is wrong, the tap water has pretty high ammonia (about .3 or .4). I'm not in a city like you said, but I guess it's high in the tap water too. So it is the water to some extent, but it's still not good for the fish. How do I fix it if it's the tap water?

As long as you have a healthy biofilter (cycled tank, not overstocked, etc.), the water conditioner you use with detoxify the ammonia long enough to be consumed by the beneficial bacteria....won't be an issue. I live in FL and it's .5 out of the tap all day long, but test a few hours after a water change and it's 0.0 cause the biofilter is removing the ammonia (which is technically chloramines).

I've had my tank be at 0 ammonia before, but now it's always at .25 or .5. is this because I have more fish than I did before?

If you recently added more fish you're probably going through a mini cycle where the beneficial bacteria is growing to keep up with the increased levels of toxins from the new fish. Should only last a week or so.

Not to mention, if you're using the liquid API test kit it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between 0 and .25 for ammonia.

Just keep an eye on it, do a ~40-50% pwc each day if you can (doubling up on the Prime), and should be back to normal soon :)

Back
Top Bottom