Please help- My betta's health seems to have taken a turn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted in the getting started section as I thought it was an appropriate place since my tank is new, however now I really need help with my betta.

All of last week he was very happy and vibrant, zipping around the tank. I added 3 new Julii corys to my 10 gallon tank on the 10th, then left for the weekend the next day. Today I came back to find Brock, my betta, laying on the bottom of the tank and one of the Juliis dead :( Brock came up to eat 2 flakes, as I am trying not to overfeed him since I think I did last week. Afterwards, he has been sitting in the bottom of his cave which is extremely unusual for him, he would never go in his cave. I did a water change today hoping it would help, and I even removed a plant that wasn't looking that great. When Brock came out when I jostled his cave a bit it looked like he was gasping.

My remaining corys seem to be doing very well as they are swimming together and scavenging normally.

I am very upset as I love my betta very much and will be devastated if I lose him after only having him for a week..

Is your tank cycled? Do a large water change. At least 50%. What's your water parameters. What test kit are you using? Do you use seachem prime? If not, I would suggest it as it detoxifys ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, while also treating the water for metaps and chlorine. Could someone bump this thread to unhealthy section.

Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite ~0
pH 8.2

API master test kit is what I'm using

Ammonia should always be at 0. .25 is not awful, but is not good. Water change. Prime.

I will have to do another water change when I get home. I did what I estimated to be 40% water change earlier and the ammonia didn't change.
Do I just keep changing until ammonia is 0? Also, is there anything I can do to save my betta besides pwc?

No. I don't tolorate ammonia, if a pwc isn't working. Maybe you could try Nitra zorb by API. Its made for there nexx filters, but you can stuff it in a hang on box filter.

I did another water change and it looks like the ammonia went down but I'm having a hard time discerning if there is still a trace of ammonia. It definitely went down though. I'm also afraid that the damage done to my betta is irreversible at this point, what do you think? :(

Attachments

• image-2372402167.jpg
    image-2372402167.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 67
Here are two photos showing how his color has changed. I'm hoping you can properly see it, it's hard for me to get a good picture

Attachments

• image-2699149095.jpg
    image-2699149095.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2399257528.jpg
    image-2399257528.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 68
He's beautiful. Hope he does better. Did I mention seachem prime? I had a swordtail and a gbr who were on the bottom barley alive. I dosed seachem prime and they are both great. It will be a temporary solution.

You did mention it.. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the store and get it today :( I will have to go after my classes tomorrow. I am do upset that he id doing so poorly.. I am so attached to him. I have a feeling he isn't going to last much longer as he keeps getting stuck on plants and even got stuck to the filter intake and I had to nudge him off. He is very very pale now. The two remaining cories on the other hand are energetic and eating. Makes me sad that my betta is weaker than them. If he does pass on I have a receipt so I guess I could get a refund (I feel awful saying that since I love him as I do my other pets). I'm not sure if they would let me take the body to bury. Of course I do hope he gains his color and energy back but it does seem like this is ammonia poisoning. I'm kicking myself for going away this weekend as I could have been testing the water during the day. Now everything is at 0 including ammonia but the pH is high

I know how you feel. Transfered tanks a couple weeks ago and lost 4 fish. Your ph shouldn't be a problem unless you are above 8.2. Bettas are hardier than we give them credit for. I forgot to ask a couple things. What's the tank size? What's the temp? Any other tankmates? And were you cycled?

I have a 10 gallon top fun kit. The temperature seems to fluctuate between 78-80 F. The only tank mates are two Julii cories as one died over the weekend.
I've only had the tank since last Friday or Saturday.. So I should have waited longer althought I had tested my water and it was doing alright until I left for the weekend

Ok so if its top fin I assume you go to petsmart. When you go tomorrow, ask for a handful of gravel from one of there tanks for cycling purposes. If they don't, look for API Stress zyme. Either one or both, will help you by adding bacteria to the water. Make sure to feed only enough for them to eat a tiny bit. Hope everything goes good. He's gorgeous.

I bought the tank from Petsmart but have been going to the local Petco. Frankly I don't like either but I only have access to privately owned fish stores when I go back to Houston on the weekends to visit my mom and cats. I'll try that tomorrow when I can. Any suggestions for keeping him from getting sucked into the filter intake? This is happening repeatedly and I am afraid he won't move away from it on his own when I go to bed soon

I bought the tank from Petsmart but have been going to the local Petco. Frankly I don't like either but I only have access to privately owned fish stores when I go back to Houston on the weekends to visit my mom and cats. I'll try that tomorrow when I can. Any suggestions for keeping him from getting sucked into the filter intake? This is happening repeatedly and I am afraid he won't move away from it on his own when I go to bed soon

Do you have a sponge filter? If so use that. Maybe stuff the filter with media to slow down flow. If you have a pair of panty hose you could use that. My main concern is that's he's an air breather. Do he needs access to the surface.

Brock died... :'( good bye Brock, I didn't mean to kill you :( I shouldn't have added the other fish to a tank trying to cycle

I'm so sorry. Its okay. It happens to everyone, don't beat yourself up.

You made a mistake somewhere but you CARED and I'm sure you will rear many happy Bettas in the future in Brock's memory! Don't give up! =) So many humans won't even bat an eye at a fish... You are a kind and caring soul. <3

Thanks.. I just don't know what was wrong since my other fish are still fine! I've been doing daily water tests

Back
Top Bottom