Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to byrdman81 Send a message via Yahoo to byrdman81
Please help my bettas sick.

I'm not sure whats wrong with my betta.
I have had him close to 2 1/2 years and he has been great.

Just yesterday I noticed him just kinda floating around the tank in a circle with the current, I checked him out and he is alive and eating but seems to have no strength to swim.

He is in a 10 gal tank with 2 zebra danios, an angel fish, a african dwarf frog and a pleco.

I have placed him in a small goldfish bowl for now and he seems to be doing better as far as staying straight instead of on his side.

Please tell me how to help him, i'm so worried and don't know what to do.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:16 PM   #2

I'm watching him close now and he's trying really hard but just keeps floating on his side. My wife seems to think it's his swim bladder or maybe he's just old and dying. But I just want to know if there is any way to help him.

1 DoJo Loach, 1 Pleco, 3 Fancy Tailed Danios, 8 Rosie Reds, 3 Gallon Eclipse Tank,1 Male Betta, 1 Gold mystery snail
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
He could just be nearing his time...sadly. 2 1/2 years, after it was probably a year or two when you got it... You didn't just recently add any fish to the tank, did you? If it seems to be acting better in the bowl...he could be getting bothered by another fish...

Chances are though, if he is floating on his side, he is just nearing his time to pass, in my opinion.

Good luck with your betta Byrdman :|

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear.
No new fish but my tank has been really cloudy for the past week even after 25% water change and new filter.

He's really trying and putting up a fight , I know he's not ready to go. I know I'm not ready to lose him, after nearly 3 years i've reallygrown to love him.

Anything else you can think of please let me know.
1 DoJo Loach, 1 Pleco, 3 Fancy Tailed Danios, 8 Rosie Reds, 3 Gallon Eclipse Tank,1 Male Betta, 1 Gold mystery snail
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
No new fish but my tank has been really cloudy for the past week even after 25% water change and new filter.
What are your water parameters (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc.)? It's never good to completely change out a filter cartridge, unless you seed it with some bacteria first...

Test your water as soon as you can, and let us know..this could be his problem. Is your tank completley cycled?

Hope it pulls through...

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bettas, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com