Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am sorry to interrupt this, but how do you change 1/2 of the media. The external filter I have has only one cartridge in it. How can I change 1/2? I am pretty new to this. My last tank, I had was over 15 years ago and I would change the cartridge every month. I never cycled, never tested, only did water changes when the water got dirty. I also experienced lots of dead fish. I hope your fish are better.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiniduck View Post
but how do you change 1/2 of the media.
It depends on your filter. Most HOB's I've seen have slots for 2 filter cartridges, so it is a simple thing to change one of the 2. For the A/C's, you can also run a coarse sponge instead of a cartridge, in that case you either buy 2 smaller sponges or cut the big one in half. If your filter has room for only one cartridge, you can try to use matching Aquaclear sponges instead.

If all else fails & you must change all of the media in the filter, my suggestion is to take the old media, squeeze out all the "gunk" onto your new media, then put it in a mesh bag & suspend it in the tank for a week or 2. It would look ugly, but would minimize the loss of your bio-filter.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just curious, my filter only has one sponge too and i doubted it's filtering abilities in the beginning due to a large space around the sponge, (square space, round sponge) so i added some filter wool around the sponge to ensure the water was definately being sucked through some material. would that be ok if i have to change the filter sponge monthly to leave to wool in? would it have the same effect as you've described above, essentially making one sponge into two parts?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Donna, is your filter a HOB style? If so, you could probably get away with ditching the sponge all together and just using some polyfiber. I have been using the same bag of polyfiber for over a year. Best $5 I ever spent, also, the only $5 I've ever spent at Joann Fabrics. LOL.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now you're getting technical!! It's a rena filstar vi (me thinks) other than that i'm pretty clueless. it was so much easier when i had a pond!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

You can certainly substitute filter wool for the pre-made filter pads. Another option is to get bulk filter sponge, <My lfs sells blocks of 1 foot or so in size.> Then you can cut the sponge to fit your filter exactly. In either case, you can change part of the media easily.

<And having part wool/part sponge like yours will work too.>
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

just thought i'd update this since it's been a long while. thought i'd let people know that my fishies made a complete recovery and we now have three more fantails along with the original two. the salt inhibited the worms reproductive cycle and eventually all died out and i kept adding the salt even for a few weeks after they'd vanished just to be sure. i don't use salt now as it kills my plants. despite the rough handling my two had with me clipping the worms to kil them, they seem to have grown closer to me! they love interaction and one even likes to have her belly gently stroked! (that's nuts to say, even for me!!!) so all's well thanks to everyones help and advice. much love from me and the fishies!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to kangster
glad to hear that everybody is doing well

Tags
paracites, sick fish, worms, wounds

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com