Please help my sick praecox!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my praecox has so cotton like growth on his mouth, no hair like projections and he is still schooling so I thought mild columnaris and treated the tank with pimafix for a week, reduced temp and feeding, no change.
So yesterday I found jbl furanol 2, did a 50% pwc dosed with api salt, api stress coat and tetra plant plantamin. Still no change in his cotton beard or behaviour (well they are all acting starved)
pH is ~8.1, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~0 temp is 27.1
My problem is the praecox I thought might be full of eggs, then after reading thought might have internal columnaris. She/he was bloated between and just behind her pec fins. She's now at the bottom of the tank nose down doing loop the loops and cork screws, slightly less swollen, gills possibly red.
I have several smaller fish in the tank, if it were a toxin wouldn't they be sick or dead too?
What can I do for her?

My best advice is to get Jungle Meds. I'm sorry, it could possibly be an internal parasite or fungus. The best thing to do I would believe is to take the carbon (if any) out of your filter, add the mess according to the prescriptions, keep up your water changes, an hope for the best. As I have no experience with disease (except ich) I can't say.

Sorry to hear about that. They really are beautiful fish :(

Thanks, there's no carbon in my filter now, I actually removed all the filter media except for the wool before adding the furanol.
As I live in ireland my choices for treatments are limited to api pimafix or melafix, interpet meds and a few jbl meds. I've no dedicated lfs near me, only two pet shops and a garden centre

KMH said:
Thanks, there's no carbon in my filter now, I actually removed all the filter media except for the wool before adding the furanol.
As I live in ireland my choices for treatments are limited to api pimafix or melafix, interpet meds and a few jbl meds. I've no dedicated lfs near me, only two pet shops and a garden centre

IMO your next best shot is API.

Does anyone out there have any idea what this could be? There's been no change.

Not positive, but if it is columnaris, melafix/etc will have absolutely no effect. Columnaris is a bacterial disease, not a true fungus. You will need to treat it with antibiotics (combo of maracyn & maracyn2 or kanacyn). If your lfs doesnt carry them, you can try looking online (such as amazon) or maybe your lfs can order them.

I thought that jbl furanol 2 is an antibiotic?
The recommended interpet medication is phenoxyethanol (number 8). I also have number 7 (which is copper edta 7, quinine bisulphate, formaldehyde and benzalkonium chloride) and number 6 (which is formaldehyde and malachite green oxalate).
She has just died :( so now I'm just left trying to treat the one with the grey beard. My plan is to leave him in the furanol 2 for the full four days, clean that out and then maybe the interpet number 8 if the beard is still there?

One other thing you can try as well. Only do this if you can manage with minimal stress to your fish. You can try dabbing hydrogen peroxide or iodine directly onto the white growth 1-3x a day. I have never personally tried this but i know some people who have been successful doing this in addition to antibiotics. Furanol2 is an antibiotic but i have no experience with it so im not going to be of much help there but i would choose that over the harsher meds containing formaldehyde.

Anyone have any idea about a diagnosis of what killed her? She was always a bit of a loner but sometimes schooled, was bloated for a few weeks then died the day after I added the furanol 2. No obvious marks on her body, the swelling had reduced.
The other praecox with the santa beard seems to be doing better, the moustache is nearly gone and the goatee is kinda hanging off

Back
Top Bottom