PLEASE HELP with GOLDFISH PROBLEMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefbar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
I have two goldfishes, one we have had for around 5 years and have lately moved into a small tank, rather than a smaller bowl. The new tank has the is more decorative with stones and plastic trees. Last week we found it curled over on one side, not moving at the bottom of the tank and it's gills not moving for minutes before it would start to twirl and do backflips, (so to speak). We googled it and decided it had all the symptoms of 'Swim Bladder', ringing the nearest fish store, I went to pick up some water treatment which within hours of application made the fish look like it had never been ill.

(As well as moving it back into the smaller bowl in which we had no problem with it being in for the past couple of years). After reapplication of the treatment 48 hours later we left the fish with our capable neighbours, and we also moved it back into the small tank. However on returning today, after only 4 days, we have found the fish in the same condition as we did when it had Swim Bladder and with black markings on its body and fins. Why would this be?
Thank you very much! I really appreciate any help because I REALLY don't want to see them suffer.

Last edited:
This is not a swim bladder issue. It sounds like ammonia and nitrite poisoning. I'm going to guess if you're describing it a as a "small" tank, it's probably way too small for a goldfish. You need to do a huge water change ASAP. Get the water clean and keep it that way. Get yourself an API Master liquid test kit. Goldfish need big tanks (at least a 40g for two) and heavy filtration.

The black marks you are seeing are from ammonia. The fish has been burned. Please learn all you can about the nitrogen cycle, it's crucial if you want to keep fish successfully. This is just some quick information to get you started, Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Back
Top Bottom