Please help with my german blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not looking good. Second day of treatment and seams to not be helping hiding. Not eating, deteriorated gills, the medication says treat for three days then do a 30% water change. I think after that I will be trying melafix to treat for bacterial infection if he lasts that long. Crossing fingers. No one else in the tank looks sick thank goodness.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Just keep going like you are and try to keep the tank as stable as possible. Good luck and I hope your family pulls through. Also sometimes it's not anything that we have done wrong and it just happens. I had to learn that over the years so if he doesn't make it don't beat yourself up too bad or do anything drastic with the tank if all the other inhabitants are thriving. I have for you to do something drastic and lose anymore fish. I have done that in the past. Take it slowly and only do one thing at a time while giving that change plenty of time to really know how it's affecting the tank. I learned that the hard way as well.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Just keep going like you are and try to keep the tank as stable as possible. Good luck and I hope your family pulls through. Also sometimes it's not anything that we have done wrong and it just happens. I had to learn that over the years so if he doesn't make it don't beat yourself up too bad or do anything drastic with the tank if all the other inhabitants are thriving. I have for you to do something drastic and lose anymore fish. I have done that in the past. Take it slowly and only do one thing at a time while giving that change plenty of time to really know how it's affecting the tank. I learned that the hard way as well.

Thank you for the kind words. He's still hanging in there. It is hard though because you are right I tend to feel like I could have done something to save him. Or I most have done something wrong for him to get sick in the fist place. I'm now hoping it does not spread to my angels. One of them I've had for years. Thank you again.

Melafix does not do anything. I would not waste your money on that. Paraguard works wonders for fish. Is your Ram showing stress bars (is the fish turning black, or have black stripes showing)? Is the Ram flashing? Could be flukes if the gills are torn up and enflamed. Pictures would also help as well. Rams are my specialty and I have seen every disease known to man that they are susceptible to.

Rams need pristine water, so 50% water changes daily is not bad at all. Make sure to use Prime. What medication are you using and what is the current temperature?

Melafix does not do anything. I would not waste your money on that. Paraguard works wonders for fish. Is your Ram showing stress bars (is the fish turning black, or have black stripes showing)? Is the Ram flashing? Could be flukes if the gills are torn up and enflamed. Pictures would also help as well. Rams are my specialty and I have seen every disease known to man that they are susceptible to.

Rams need pristine water, so 50% water changes daily is not bad at all. Make sure to use Prime. What medication are you using and what is the current temperature?

Thank you for your response. The fish is not showing stress bars or flashing that I can tell. I also first thought flukes and started a treatment of ProForm-C. I purchased it from a reputable aquarium store not a pet store. Treated for three days and then did a 30% water change no sign of any change. I called the aquarium store and they also told me melafix is a waist of time. I will be headed to the aquarium store to pick up better bacterial medication. I do have very good water quality ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 I check the water daily with master kit and do water changes twice a week. I use stress coat + with every water change. Ok for temp it was at 80 but I gradually brought it down to 78 because I thought that high of temp would speed up my angles metabolism and they would not live as long. I was told later rams like 80 so I'm gradually bring it back up. I hope I have answered all your questions. It is only one gill that is pushed out looking. None of the other fish are looking ill so I was thinking perhaps he hurt himself some how. I would take a pick but it's a 55 gallon and he is hiding. Thank you again for your advice

How long has the tank been running? You should have nitrate present if it is a cycled tank. That says to me it might be flukes with one gill shut and the other open. 3 days would not be enough time for treatment as well. I strongly recommend to use medications by Seachem as well. I do not believe it is bacterial however.

How long has the tank been running? You should have nitrate present if it is a cycled tank. That says to me it might be flukes with one gill shut and the other open. 3 days would not be enough time for treatment as well. I strongly recommend to use medications by Seachem as well. I do not believe it is bacterial however.

The tank has been running for three months. It is planted tank. Ok I'll see if I can find seachem. Thank you

His mouth looks fuzzy in the picture but it is not. No signs of illness except that one gill sticking out and the fin next to his gill it tattered a bit.

Image1493224417.236534.jpghere a picture of the whole set up. List of fish 5 angles 2 German blue rams 4 zebra loaches and a pleco that only gets about three inches big not sure it's actual name. Thanks again for everyone's help.

So he is actually showing stress bars. See those thick black vertical lines? When he is not stressed, those are not there (look at my thumbnail, that is a male Ram). I would put the temperature at 82, and do 50% water changes. Rams need a lot of plant cover, so you will need to add more plants. And Rams really need to be in better established tanks as well. That is a lot of fish for such a new aquarium.

Ok I'll raise the temp up and do a water change. I found the seachem you were talking about as well. I added them slow and they are all babies so there is really not that much in the tank. I planned on getting more plants it's just a slow process sense they are expensive and I have 3 other tanks.

Might want to look into
Aquarium tropical fish disease diagnostics. Fish treatment. Sick fish, ill fish, cure fish.

If this does not match up you can hit the fish disease diagnostic bar and start your own search with all symptoms you see..
I like flukes for this also...
3-8 days is no where near long enough for any treatment IMO..
Plan on all treatments being performed for 10 days at least possibly 14- 30 for bacterial issues...:whistle:
The short treatments suggested are how our resistant strains have formed and been strengthened...:facepalm:
I also like potassium permanganate for treating just about everything...

Back
Top Bottom