Please tell me about the white cotton fungus that killed all my loved fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtney1626

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right on the beach of Eastern NC! Well twenty minu
I first noticed the first spec of white cotton looking stuff three days ago, I didn't know what it was so ignored it thinking it was fish poo or adf poo, it wasn't, it attached itself to my fish and killed 90% of my fish that I deeply loved, including my male betta who I've had for a long time :( can someone please tell me what this is or where it came from? I'm so depressed I and feel like it's my fault for ignoring the first sign >.< I didn't know it was that that killed my babies, I just treated my tank with fungus clear and will clean it out tomarrow but do I need to throw away my brand new decorations and rocks? I spent like $68 on them total...

I'm treating an expanding case of fish fungus at the moment too. If you restart the tank you should be able to kill off the remaining fungus by doing a bleach dip on the ornaments you have then rinse them in water with a high dose of dechlorinator.

Can I ask where it showed up for the OP? I'm wondering if it could be cotton mouth (bacterial infection) if it wiped out the tank in 3 days?

Sorry OP for original poster. I was thinking whereabouts on the fish but now a bit confused with it (late here) - can you post a photo? Did it start on the fish and how big is it?

Don't know if that made sense - I was wondering if you saw it on the fish first and it spread over the fish or you saw it in the tank water and it spread to on your fish?

Back
Top Bottom