Pleco acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pelco that I just got a few days ago for my 10 gal....He has been fine the last few days, he has been moving from spot to spot trying to find algae( my tank is fairly new and is still cycling) and recently he will be going to the bottom of the tank stop moving and float all the way up to the top and not move....I almost netted him twice today because I thought for sure he was dead but every time I grab the net and try to get he swims back down to the bottom...Should I get something that produces more algae for him to eat....My nitrites are very high still could this be something to do with it?

just did a big change....the pleco isnt looking so good :( hope my other fish dont turn out like that....my

nitrate-20
nitrite-8
pH-7.6

These are the results after the water change? If so, you will need to do another one in another few hours.

This is one of the inherent problems of having fish while the tank is still cycling. You will need to do these water changes while at the same time test your levels. You are looking to get the NO2 level under 1ppm. Do you have a test for ammonia?

I can't be sure if it's not too late for the pleco (btw, what kind of pleco)?

well he is kind of staying on the glass right now...doesn't seem real attached...but i suppose it is better then floating at the top....I feel horrible...I'm still really new to this, as you can tell by putting my fish straight in the tank...It doesn't help that I'm going to be moving back to my dorm this Sunday, hopefully it won't be to much stress for them

that would be it...

I didn't get to choose my fish :( ...I just got everything after my friend didnt want anything to do with them...Turns out I'm possibly batteling ick and fin rot right now :cry: ....it's been a long few weeks...

anyways....So I should do another large PWC in a few hours?

It's ok it's his loss...I'm really enjoying it minus the whole ick, non-cylced, possible fin rot...It will be nice for my dorm room

but here's what I got:

10gal tank-used

All Glass Heater-50wat

Whisper Power Fliter 5-15 gal.

1-Yellow Lab
2-Glowlight Tetras
2-Pelco-(the other pleco seems really fine right now, for some reason)
5- Ghost Shrimp
3-catfish (I think?)
1-swordtail

I realize it's way over crowded, but I'm looking for a bigger tank

He also had 3 tiger barbs with those but I gave them away, because I think they kept nipping at the tails of the tetras...At least I think I can't till if it is fin rot or nipping

I also bought a live plant today, so I will see how that goes...

On a side note, I'm headed to my lfs...Anything, I don't have that I should get(besides a bigger tank :) )...I'm thinking about taking out my last fake plant so I would have two live ones...Let me know...Thanks for your help and advice everyone :D

I have a sailfin gibbiceps too, be warned they get pretty big, when you get enough money, make sure you get a 55gal or more (preferably more). Just because of thier size and since you've got two you'll need room for them to swim. I've only had mine for 8 months in a 55 gal and he's just over 6 inches. I've read that they can get to be about a foot long.
Hope things work out!

75 gal would be much better than a slim 55 for the plecos. I think it would be best if you at least give away the plecos and yellow lab. :?

Back
Top Bottom