Pleco not pooping?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just noticed I haven't seen these long stringy poops in my tank for a few days now. What happened?! Is he sick. What can I do to help him poop! Please help I love him and can't loose him. He's a common pleco I think 9" or a bit less

His skin looks strange as well. Here's a picture. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391657946.574955.jpg

Any help is appreciated. (Water change was done today and waters still cloudy from the sand stirring up) no rude comments on clarity please

Typically long stringy poo is not a good thing from what I have heard. I cant diagnose the fish but as far as water quality goes I have found that polishing pads or extra filter floss may clear up the water. What kind of filter are you running?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a Pleco long stringies are it, I've seen some 12 inch strings trailing behind mine before. What do you feed? Is there driftwood in the tank?

Ok, so what is filter floss. I think I need that it takes a day to settle before it's clear again. Kind of annoying.

And there was driftwood in there for a bit but he didn't touch it. Does the common pleco need wood to? I was under impression only the little ones like bristle nose need wood.. Ops :(

Wood will help all plecos, do you ever feed veggies? Pleccy could be alittle choked up if he's not been getting enough ruffage (not eating wood)

Yes wood is key in their diet, he was most likely mowing down at night. He may be constipated, get some wood back in there and try some blanched zuccini and veggie wafers..

I use polishing pads like these. Depending on which filter you have these may fit. You want to be able to fit them in without any bypass. You can also check the art and craft store for some pillow filler. Its pretty much the same stuff. Just make sure its like a polyester based filler

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391700027870.jpg
    1391700027870.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 96
Ok woods back in now and yes I feed him cucumber and zucchini quite often. He loves them. Some peas. Though I'm not sure if he gets them as the cichlids eat anything I put in there... I always put his wafers in at night time to ensure he does get some but noticed this morning they were still there for the most part. So looks like he's not eating as much.

I willl look into the filter floss, I'm getting a new canister for the tank I believe a flu all of some sort. Can't remember the name but it should help..

I willl look into the filter floss, I'm getting a new canister for the tank I believe a flu all of some sort. Can't remember the name but it should help..

oh...okay if you are running a canister then they usually have a polishing stage built in. Are you looking at the Fluval 206/306/406?

Still no poop? Is the filter grabbig it before I see it?? Been trying I watch all day and nothing. He's been stuck to glass all over but no poop that I saw and he barely touched the cucumber I gave him. Is he getting old? I'm not sure of age lfs wasn't sure either :(

Size will determine species. Most of mine have lived for four years plus, the big ones I believe are still going (rehoused during a move)

It is highly unlikely the filter is whipping away the doo doo before you see it. They do a good job but gravel cleaning and plecs go together like day follows night. When you vac you should see evidence of faecal matter from this fish.

It is possible that enough algae is being sourced from the tank glass etc. but in my experience plecs normally come out for extra dinner.

What is the rough size of the fish, length to tail, not including.

It looks rather like hypostomus, they get BIG! There are a few species it could be which will determine adult size. What size is the tank?

Most likely to be a parasitic or bacterial infection. Plecs poo and often.

Have you read the links I provided?

Size will determine species. Most of mine have lived for four years plus, the big ones I believe are still going (rehoused during a move)

It is highly unlikely the filter is whipping away the doo doo before you see it. They do a good job but gravel cleaning and plecs go together like day follows night. When you vac you should see evidence of faecal matter from this fish.

It is possible that enough algae is being sourced from the tank glass etc. but in my experience plecs normally come out for extra dinner.

What is the rough size of the fish, length to tail, not including.

It looks rather like hypostomus, they get BIG! There are a few species it could be which will determine adult size. What size is the tank?

Most likely to be a parasitic or bacterial infection. Plecs poo and often.

Have you read the links I provided?

He is roughly 5" not including tail. That's about 2".

He has started small amount of poop now. But not those long stringy ones he'd had before that were constantly hanging from him. He's eating wood again and lots of veggies and algae.

He's in a 50 gal long with cichlids. I think the problem was bullying too but caved a spot for him and he loves it. Not bullied anymore and I've seen him eating a lot. He looks healthy again but thenpoop isn't normal. Gonna try a different food for him maybe a medicated one and see if it helps clear him out.

Have you thought about quarantining him in a bare bottom tank? This will show you if he is pooping or not. For a filter use anything and use a sponge over the intake.

Back
Top Bottom