Pleco w/ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10gallon aquarium set up with two filters, (one for a 15gal and the other for a 10gal), which currently houses a 2-3 inch common pleco. We have a 55gallon that we are currently preparing to set up and cycle so he will have a bigger home soon.

I noticed my pleco has ich from some goldfish I recently re-homed. I'm not sure how to treat it, with medication or heat treatment....and here is why....

I live in the desert. The tank stays about room temperature, so in the morning it dips between 70-75 degrees f. Then as the day progresses it slowly increases and peaks out at about 80-84, maybe a little hotter on humid days. If I treat him with a heater I'm afraid I'll over heat him. Is there a heater that will turn off and on if it reaches or drops below a certain degree so the water temperature is constant?

If I use medication, what kind do I get and will it hurt my pleco or snail?

I think it is the very early stages of ich and I'd just like to help the poor guy out before it gets any worse. I don't want to lose this fish he deserves to be in his new home!

Usually a heater will have its own thermostat that cuts it out if the surrounding water is already at that temp.

My 200w heater only turns on when my lights are off and then it heats the water and turns off once my desired temp is reached.

Jon

Sounds good then. I'd rather treat him with heat than with medication. Thank you :p

Back
Top Bottom