Pleco with mouth patch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunatag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I added new fish to my tank and of course a bunch of stuff is happening. A Jaguar cichlid ended up getting cloudy eyes, so I isolated and treated and that’s fine now.
My pleco now has a very large pinkish white patch on its mouth and I’m wondering if anyone knows what it is? I’m not sure it looks like fungus or maybe it just hasn’t progressed to the cottony stage yet. A few of my fish seem to have their tails frayed a bit but I’m attributing that to bullying.

Attachments

• 8A6D10C6-BDA1-4D2E-AE73-53FB3115BAFB.jpg
    8A6D10C6-BDA1-4D2E-AE73-53FB3115BAFB.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 83
With your tank overstocked as bad as it is I'd expect several more problems to come and deaths.

Hello, does your plec like to hang around heater? It kinda looks like a burn. I have a feather fin synodontis cat that likes to squeeze between tank wall & heater. Every once in a while I would notice similar wound on side. Finally fitted heater w/guard & now no problems. Hope this helps!

...it’s a 75 gallon tank so I’m pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much!

With your tank overstocked as bad as it is I'd expect several more problems to come and deaths.

...it’s a 75 gallon tank so I’m pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much

I would tend to agree it looks like some injury from burn or rubbing. It would probably be wise to treat with anti bacterial and anti fungal meds to keep it from getting infected but you can just keep a close eye on it and see if it heals naturally.

Now for what king fisher said. He is right and it is helpful information. A one foot long pleco shouldn't be in a 75g and I wouldn't have it in a tank with a lot of plants or decor. You need to give it room. You also say you have quite a few cichlids, gouramis and other things. What is your actual stocking? Cichlids don't fit with gouramis or the tetras since cichlids A) like warmer water and B) are usually very aggressive fish. You came here for help and I feel he offered good and important help.

I would tend to agree it looks like some injury from burn or rubbing. It would probably be wise to treat with anti bacterial and anti fungal meds to keep it from getting infected but you can just keep a close eye on it and see if it heals naturally.

Now for what king fisher said. He is right and it is helpful information. A one foot long pleco shouldn't be in a 75g and I wouldn't have it in a tank with a lot of plants or decor. You need to give it room. You also say you have quite a few cichlids, gouramis and other things. What is your actual stocking? Cichlids don't fit with gouramis or the tetras since cichlids A) like warmer water and B) are usually very aggressive fish. You came here for help and I feel he offered good and important help.

No, THIS is good help. His “help” was a criticism rather than a helpful elaborate answer. I’ll take some of the decorations out so he has more room to swim around. There are 2 gouramis, 4 baby jaguar cichlids, 2 jewel cichlids, an angel fish, 1 guppie and 4 harlequin rasboras. I’m aware cichlids are aggressive fish but I was told by someone since the tank is so big they probably wouldn’t be as territorial

...it’s a 75 gallon tank so I’m pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much
You are way overstocked. My advice was super helpful if you cared to look into it. What makes you think your stocking is ok. You came here for advice and you don't like hearing that your set up is built for failure.

He's got a jaguar cichlid out if the many cichlids that gets up to 16 inches.

No, THIS is good help. His “help” was a criticism rather than a helpful elaborate answer. I’ll take some of the decorations out so he has more room to swim around. There are 2 gouramis, 4 baby jaguar cichlids, 2 jewel cichlids, an angel fish, 1 guppie and 4 harlequin rasboras. I’m aware cichlids are aggressive fish but I was told by someone since the tank is so big they probably wouldn’t be as territorial
You need a 240 gallon tank for what you have. You can be mad all you want but your stocking for a 75 gallon tank is irresponsible. Idk where you got the idea that even one common pleco and one jaguar cichlid could live in a 75 gallon tank let alone multiples and you have schooling fish that will be eaten by your cichlids. You think that's ok?

Sorry you feel that way but I've seen king help many many times on this forum and never felt any of it was criticism. I do agree he could have gone into more detail but it still doesnt make it any less helpful. After hearing your stocking I think kings comment was of more help then what was offered for your pleco. Whoever told you this stocking would be fine doesn't know a thing about these fish or they were just trying to sell you a ton of fish. Please do not take anymore of their advice. The stocking issue is more about the size these fish get than the aggression. If possible I would return all of the jaguar cichlids. This will make the tank more properly stocked but still not optimal for the pleco. Stick around this forum and we will help teach you whatever you need to know about fish and aquariums.

Jaguars are one of the nastiest tempered cichlids you can have and they're big. You really shouldn't stock them with any other fish besides thier own kind.

Im more than willing to give you advice on proper stocking and tank size if you want to stick to the jaguars.

Back
Top Bottom