Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pleco with mouth patch

So I added new fish to my tank and of course a bunch of stuff is happening. A Jaguar cichlid ended up getting cloudy eyes, so I isolated and treated and thatís fine now.
My pleco now has a very large pinkish white patch on its mouth and Iím wondering if anyone knows what it is? Iím not sure it looks like fungus or maybe it just hasnít progressed to the cottony stage yet. A few of my fish seem to have their tails frayed a bit but Iím attributing that to bullying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A6D10C6-BDA1-4D2E-AE73-53FB3115BAFB.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	312995  

Old 05-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

With your tank overstocked as bad as it is I'd expect several more problems to come and deaths.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello, does your plec like to hang around heater? It kinda looks like a burn. I have a feather fin synodontis cat that likes to squeeze between tank wall & heater. Every once in a while I would notice similar wound on side. Finally fitted heater w/guard & now no problems. Hope this helps!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you thatís helpful!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

...it’s a 75 gallon tank so I’m pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
With your tank overstocked as bad as it is I'd expect several more problems to come and deaths.
...itís a 75 gallon tank so Iím pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would tend to agree it looks like some injury from burn or rubbing. It would probably be wise to treat with anti bacterial and anti fungal meds to keep it from getting infected but you can just keep a close eye on it and see if it heals naturally.

Now for what king fisher said. He is right and it is helpful information. A one foot long pleco shouldn't be in a 75g and I wouldn't have it in a tank with a lot of plants or decor. You need to give it room. You also say you have quite a few cichlids, gouramis and other things. What is your actual stocking? Cichlids don't fit with gouramis or the tetras since cichlids A) like warmer water and B) are usually very aggressive fish. You came here for help and I feel he offered good and important help.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
I would tend to agree it looks like some injury from burn or rubbing. It would probably be wise to treat with anti bacterial and anti fungal meds to keep it from getting infected but you can just keep a close eye on it and see if it heals naturally.

Now for what king fisher said. He is right and it is helpful information. A one foot long pleco shouldn't be in a 75g and I wouldn't have it in a tank with a lot of plants or decor. You need to give it room. You also say you have quite a few cichlids, gouramis and other things. What is your actual stocking? Cichlids don't fit with gouramis or the tetras since cichlids A) like warmer water and B) are usually very aggressive fish. You came here for help and I feel he offered good and important help.
No, THIS is good help. His ďhelpĒ was a criticism rather than a helpful elaborate answer. Iíll take some of the decorations out so he has more room to swim around. There are 2 gouramis, 4 baby jaguar cichlids, 2 jewel cichlids, an angel fish, 1 guppie and 4 harlequin rasboras. Iím aware cichlids are aggressive fish but I was told by someone since the tank is so big they probably wouldnít be as territorial
Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunatag View Post
...itís a 75 gallon tank so Iím pretty sure it can handle that many fish. Your advice has been SUPER helpful. Thanks soooooo much
You are way overstocked. My advice was super helpful if you cared to look into it. What makes you think your stocking is ok. You came here for advice and you don't like hearing that your set up is built for failure.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post

He's got a jaguar cichlid out if the many cichlids that gets up to 16 inches.

Tags
mouth, plec, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com