Poisoned fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

My 55g was having algae issues so I put in a dose of algaefix. 15 mins later the fish are swimming all over the place. I do a 25% water change. I Come back 30 mins later and my fish are crazy. The angels at the top gulping air. The skirt tetras are swimming frantically. And several of the mollies are laying at the bottom of the tank. I then do a 75% water change.

Anything else I should do? Some of the fish are still gulping air. But I'm not sure if I should let them rest for a bit before doing another water change.

Edit: Ammonia is currently 0 and never seemed to spike during the whole thing.

Aaron, you did exactly what I would have done regarding the WC's. The toxicity of algicides and meds depends on the PH and water hardness. So the suggested dosages printed on the bottles do not apply evenly from region to region due to varying water chemistry. That's one of the reasons I stopped using toxic chemicals and meds in my tanks decades ago. Most situations that come up can be handled with natural methods. Don't hesitate to ask. Things will even out.

Yes it is essentially a poison, and not always "safe" like it says.

Please if you can, do another pwc or 2.

Can you check your pH and can you check your kH, or do you know if you often have low kH?

It is really a hard experience when something like this is happening. I am hoping it works out in the end.

What is mentioned above, like it worked for this guy and not for you, happens frequently from one area/person's water and circumstance is not always the same as yours.

I have had this same kind of experience, (with a different product though). Very stressfull and sad.

Sometimes the chemicals can mess with the pH. Also if you can UP your O2 in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom