Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pond Goldfish Shedding Skin?

I have my 4 goldfish in my pond and I don't know what is wrong with them. They seem to be shedding skin. They didn't eat today which is weird and they seem a little lethargic. I have a fountain filter and an air supply inside the pond. They have been in there about a month now. I've had to treat the pond with some AlgaeFix because the pond started to look like pea soup. Ive been doing about 50% water changes a week to help with the algae. I also put in a water lily bud from Petco a couple of days ago. The water is super clear now and seen I noticed the skin peeling, I didn't add anymore of that Algae Fix.

What is wrong with them and how can I help?

Another weird thing is that the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates were all 0. Is that ok? I thought there needed to be at least some nitrates. I even tested the nitrates twice.

Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01140.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	237709  

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah there should be some nitrates? Im not to sure because i haven't kept goldfish for a long time but it could possibly be excess slime from their slime coat? Really need a goldfish expert because i'm not to sure?!

Good luck and hope this helps a little bit? Maybe

Tom

Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your ph? Kh and Gh would be very helpful as well! The zeroes across the board in addition to the excess mucous (appears as 'shedding') can be telltale signs of a very serious ph issue.

How much of the algae chemical did you use? Any chance that you may have added a little extra or were dosing it daily or constantly? Algae chemicals are quite toxic and can create a host of issues when used incorrectly (or even correctly).
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, I tested the ph and it was high, like 8.2. Is that bad?

Also, I may have added too much. I put a dose in, then that afternoon I did a 50% water change cause company was coming over. I thought the water change took out the algae medicine so I added another dose. I hope that didnt hurt them. I didnt use the algae stuff today though. On the flip side, my pond is really clear.

Idk how to test the kh or gh. I just have the API test kit. How should I lower the ph? I think I have some ph tablets.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! Your ph is fine- do not try to adjust it or mess with it. The main issue was an overdose of the chemical. Remember that 'clear' water does not really mean anything and quick-fixes usually come with more negatives than positives, especially long term.

I would work on a couple of big wcs to reduce the amount of the chemical as much as possible. They essentially have a chemical burn and it's a natural reaction to ramp up slime coat production to try and offset the effects and protect themselves from further damage. In addition to the big wcs, if you can run a sizable amount of new carbon, this will remove some of the chemicals as well. Toss it after a few days and repeat. A pond water conditioner with a slime coat aid may be helpful.

I am not sure if you had any snails/inverts or frogs, but keep an eye out for anything deceased as they will contribute to potential ammonia levels. Keep a close watch on your parameters over the next few weeks for any possible spikes in toxins. Please ask if you have questions!

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, pond, skin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com