Poor fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have 2 male dwarf gouramis in my 20G tank, along with 6 leaches and 4 harlequin rasboras. And some MTS. Anyway, I have noticed one of the DG's picking on the other one endlessly, he will never leave him alone. The one that is getting picked on seems depressed (I would too), is not eating much and seems to be getting pretty skinny. I looked for females when I was in town, but no one has any that I could find. My question is, do you think it would be a bad idea to put the picked on one in the 75G with my BGK? The DG is only about 3 1/2 inches long, and the BGK is only about 4 1/2 inches long. I don't have any other options as the other tanks have bettas in them and I am afraid they would hurt eachother. He is a SUPER sweet fish and I feel terrible for him. Thanks. :(

Rearrange the tank they are in now yet?

That might help alot. I dount think the BGK will eat the DG but you never know, my week old guppy fry attempt to eat bloodworms so I guess its the appetite in the fish that will call this one.

Have you tried a floating breeder box yet? put the aggressive one in the box not the wuss.

I put a ton more plants in the 20G, moved the bowl so it would be more of a hiding place for him to go into, be the mean one is still perstering him out of EVERY place he tries to hide. I put him in there, and need to take a nap, but I am afraid of them fighting. At this point, I am more afraid of the DG biting the BGK. So far they are alright, the BGK just keeps poking the DG with his tail. There is no way he would be able to fit the DG in his mouth, he is still too little. He is just now to the point where he can get a whole shrimp pellet in his mouth.
I have not been into town to pick anything up in a while, been ordering stuff online. If I got a breeder box, would he have to stay in there forever, or would it just kind of be a "time out" lol?

Ya, do what he said. You have to be careful with gouromis. They can be mean toward each other.

He is horrible. I thought if I could find some females he would be better, but they weren't selling females.....So far so good. I think the BGK and the DG were sharing a house too lol.

In my area it is rare to find female gouramis, Putting one it time out isn't going to do much good they are very territorial and a 20 gallon tank isn't going to be big enough for them each to establish territories IMO.

Thanks. I moved him into the 75 with the BGK. He seems alright. They have been together in the 20G for 5 weeks, but I will never make the same mistake again.....poor baby, I feel terrible.

I was a little concerned about putting your gourami in with your knife fish but after a little research I found that they are a good community fish.

I know what it is like to have to separate fish I ended up getting another aquarium just for an angel fish they had been together for a year before any problem.

Oh, I didn't know that they would be a good community fish! Thanks! I just had no other option for the little guy. He seems to still be doing alright in there, slowly coming out of his shell. It is trying to get him to eat now that I am having a problem with...He doesn't seem to want to eat anything...I have tried flakes, bloodworms, shrimp pellets and brine shrimp. I am hoping he will just get hungry enough to try something.

Back
Top Bottom