Poor Jub-Jub Hurt Firemouth Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazonian13

Aquarium Advice Regular
My poor Jub-Jub, a 5 inch Firemouth Cichlid, used to completely run my 125 gallon tank. Alas, how the mighty have fallen. Poor Jub-Jub was a little too aggressive apparently and about two months ago I realized he had significantly broken his jaw and his mouth was completely lopsided and looked bent at an angle. However, he could still eat and was looking fine besides having a mad ugly overbite, anyway, over the last two months its grown almost shut and although he can still move it he has stopped eating for the past two weeks, and although he doesn't look skinny yet he definitely has stopped growing and is definitely not eating, now just floats around getting bullied by everyone he used to dominate. Anyway, can't bring myself to kill the poor guy just in case he is somehow still absorbing some smaller food through the opening, but I was wondering does anyone think if I take him out and actually try to bend his jaw back or even cut off the lower lip do you think he would be able to eat then? Any advice or strategies on how to do my guys jaw surgery would be much appreciated

I am sorry about your poor guy!! I honestly would seek out the help of an aquatic vet who can properly sedate the fish & surgically repair his mouth. If this is not possible, do some googling for possible repairs for a fused mouth. I wish you luck & hopefully someone with experience cutting a fused mouth can offer some guidance!

Back
Top Bottom