Poor water with good practices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two Bose Rainbows who get the mouth fungus they are know for. I know they are more sensitive to poor water conditions and this is what causes it.

Now what confuses me is that I have trouble understanding where the poor water comes from.
50Gal tank
I have a well cycled planted tank.
I do weekly water changes (always vacuum, 30-50% water change, use Prime for new water)
My filter is a HOB 30-60gal (with bio media, extra foam added to back, and intake changed to a foam filter sized for 75gal)
My water paras are 7.6ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nirates, 0 nitrites, 200-220tds

Everything else stays very healthy in the tank. So what would "poor" water conditions mean in my case? What do you suggest I do to keep my rainbows healthy?
I have my two in a holding tank with Kanaplex treatment right now, it is going down but not away, might move to trying SulfaPlex after.

WWXm1Zl.jpg

Thanks guys.

I not to familiar w/these fish l'm kinda stumped!!!! As for rainbows, ph in range(6.5 - 8), temp(70-79°)& min tank(30gal+)
May be stocking issues. I believe 2-5 are recommended same sex 6 is 3males & 3female.
So if everything living in tank healthy then it is not water. Hope this helps!

I find it odd as well you don't have any nitrates. Did you bang the hell out of the nitrate bottles before using them and mixed the solution well? If it's an API test kit it's known to be inaccurate if not overly agitated on the nitrate test. Or did you add any meds or anything that would kill off your BB?

I looked that up before and learned that. I have beaten the snot and it still shows zero. It's weird but i am decently planted and fairly under stocked.

The main meds i use is paragaurd or kanaplex. I don't think they'll bb.

The curiosity of the NitrAtes has been addressed.

Stress.

Males will chase a female relentlessly, and 2 or more F to one male is better.

What is the rainbow group M & F numbers? Do you have more or all males?

What are all the other fish in the tank?

Do you happen to know what your KH is?

Also it seems you don't have a background or many long tall plants and the fish aren't what I would call shy but they like to have darker safe like places in between plants while they zoom through the tank. I would add a black trash bag as an impromptu safety darkness addition. And also the lighting seems really bright and they don't always enjoy such brightness. Maybe get some needlepoint mesh or window screen to darken parts of the tank to seem more secluded.

When I had them, There were some floating plants in my tank. They hardly stopped moving in and out of everything and everywhere mid tank.

What are you feeding them?

Last edited:
What is the tank temp running?

Also as a side note there are plenty of overbred weak stock being sold. Making it even more of a delicate /sickly fish. The Boesemani is one of the most popular of the Rainbowfish.

Those are great suggestions Autumn, ill try a few of them out.

My KH is 3 drops to yellow so apx 53.7ppm? (their chart is so confusing to me)
My temp is 77, I try to keep it around 76 tho.
First I had 1 male 1 female. I just picked up one more female tho.
The other fish in the tank are corys and a 3 spot gourami
I feed a mix of frozen shrimp, aqueon pellets, and hikari vibra bites

As far as the lighting I think it is mainly the picture, I actually have my light 2 feet ABOVE the tanks top. Funny enough, when I had it sitting on the tank I grew algae like it was my business.

Ill cover the back with black, I bought some floating plants (seeds right now), and ill try to buy some large background plants soon too. I have added Furcata rainbows this weekend and I know theyll love the extra plants.

Those things sound like you would be moving in the right direction.

Every tank and set up are a bit different. Fish as well. Having the extra female is good though as it will likely help divert attention from the one.

A side bit is that the male is used to chasing the one present tank mate and he might get back to that as the older one may be more matured and sometimes ready for spawning/putting off hormones too, but it possibly won't matter and he'll chase both, was just guessing the new one is younger as they usually are in the stores.

Just noticed, you are around my area. I have Dwarf Water lettuce for free if you are interested. You can PM me if you want. Red Root Floaters from Stooker though are really cool. Nice too is that they look great in a outdoor bucket, container water garden too.

Also here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/phyllanthus-fluitans-red-root-floaters-368119.html

Back
Top Bottom