Poorly cherry barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have had an awful day here today, 3 more cherry barbs have lost their fight against whatever this is. One I found already dead, the other 2 were in a bad way but still alive whilst the danios were already taking bites out of them, so we were planning to euthanize them, but even just lifting them out in the net was too much and they died. So that leaves 4 remaining of the original 12.
We have done 2 doses of the sterazin (day 1 and 3) the next dose is due on day 6 but I am not sure there will be any left by that point.
I have a very sad little girl

They show no interest in food

Sent from my LG-D802 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have had an awful day here today, 3 more cherry barbs have lost their fight against whatever this is. One I found already dead, the other 2 were in a bad way but still alive whilst the danios were already taking bites out of them, so we were planning to euthanize them, but even just lifting them out in the net was too much and they died. So that leaves 4 remaining of the original 12.
We have done 2 doses of the sterazin (day 1 and 3) the next dose is due on day 6 but I am not sure there will be any left by that point.
I have a very sad little girl

They show no interest in food

Sad news :(

Are you seeing any worms or anything coming out?

It may be the meds are just too much for them.

If not internal parasites/worms, it could be some internal bacterial infection. This could just work it's way through the school first. It just seems to be going through your healthy fish in three days(?), which seems quick to me. I would still stick with your meds dosing but if it could be a bacterial infection, would remove fish that have a slim chance (ie too far gone), before they can be pecked on or anything. Not a cheery thought to mention but you may need to put the tank before some fish.

So that's it, I have removed the last of the cherry barb bodies that was 7 in 3 days gone. I will get my daughter to do a big water change tomorrow,and give it all a really good clean! I will give it a couple of weeks to settle down again and think about some more, thankfully the danios and raspboras seem to be unaffected still.
Any tips for good fish to get for a beginner? I think we have just had bad luck with the cherries and it was a shame as they were really lovely, but I don't think she would want to go down that route again!
She quite like the look of the neon retreats but I have read they are a bit trickier, how about the cardinals instead?

So that's it, I have removed the last of the cherry barb bodies that was 7 in 3 days gone. I will get my daughter to do a big water change tomorrow,and give it all a really good clean! I will give it a couple of weeks to settle down again and think about some more, thankfully the danios and raspboras seem to be unaffected still.
Any tips for good fish to get for a beginner? I think we have just had bad luck with the cherries and it was a shame as they were really lovely, but I don't think she would want to go down that route again!
She quite like the look of the neon retreats but I have read they are a bit trickier, how about the cardinals instead?

Neons really are a hit or miss no matter how good the tank is. I've heard cardinals are good! Rummynose as well. There's many species of Cory cats that are pretty and active the bigger the group. They stay small and are hardy fish. Tiger barbs are cool but they are a hit or miss with some people. I had some for 3 months and they were just fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom