Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pop eye!

So I noticed one of my serpae tetra has pop eye this morning! I removed him and put him into a 1.5 gal quarantine tank. I took him out of a 29 gallon that has 5 serpae tetra, 3 Mickey platys/Molly's not sure which and a rainbow shark. I haven't fully stocked or set this tank up yet, parameters should be fine, I do weekly changes, I recently added of the serpae all 3 Mickey's and the rainbow and did daily changes will the filter adjusted to the new bioload. It has a sand substrate and fake plants for now along with a big coral decor that came along with a tank I got from Craigslist that I washed in hot water and vinegar. Any idea why this could happen? And what do I use to treat him? I added some salt and melafix to help bacterial infections but other then that I don't know what to do. Thanks

Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used Maracyn plus from fritz aquatics before with good results. It has sulfamide and trimethoprinb so if your local fish store has something with them in it you could use that.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I reccomend bleach next time, but i doubt your fish got sick from the other tank.
Popeye can be from an injury, foreign object, or several types of bacteria. Its mostly gram positive bacteria, (strep) but ive heard from others it can be diffrent types of bacteria.
Sulfa is a good drug to use, if not maracyn plus, you could try maracyn 1, or Tri-sulfa.

Tags
eye, pop eye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com