Pop eye disease infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
Few days ago, serpae tetra has pop eye. I recently got 3 serpae tetra along w 3 platys and a rainbow shark. I noticed and moved him into a temporary 1.5g qt tank. Been doing melafix along with aq salt to treat. He seemed to improve and now the eye that had it just looks black and sorta rotted. Would it be better to just euthanize him or try to heal him? When I had to euthanize another serpae before due to other problems I put water into a cup and froze it for about an hour so it was around freezing (32°) and just netted and put him into it which seems to me like the most painless death because it numbs them then puts them to sleep. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Pop eye is either an instantaneous result of an injury or the end result of a bacterial infection.
Considering your fish shows decaying tissue around the eye, likely an advanced bacterial infection. IMO best to put him out of his misery.

Pop eye is either an instantaneous result of an injury or the end result of a bacterial infection.
Considering your fish shows decaying tissue around the eye, likely an advanced bacterial infection. IMO best to put him out of his misery.

^^ I agree +1^^

Back
Top Bottom