Popeye on gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

applepip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nearing a year ago I received a few fish from a friend of my mum who was getting rid of her tank and wanted to know her fish (which she had had for quite a few years) were going to a loving home. She gave me 2 blue gourami, an orange gourami (not entirely sure on the actual breed name) and a sailfin pleco. All the gouramiwere about 3 and a half to 4 inches long, and as far as I can tell havent grown since I got them, though Im not sure if they are at their full size, and have o clue about their age.
BUT the woman told me one of them had a "funny eye" but it didn't bother it and when I got it home into the tank I straight away saw one eye was noticably bigger then the other. I did some research and realised it was popeye. However as she said it didnt seem to be bothering the fish, so I decided to leave it for a bit and see what would happen, as judging from the water in the bags she gave me the fish in, the tank wasnt very clean.
As I say Ive had them nearing a year now and all 4 fish are still living happily, even after 2 lots of white spot due to a bad supplier and a bad case of fin rot. (thats all cleared up now) As far as I can tell the eye hasnt decreased or increased in size, and doesnt seem to be causing the fish any harm, apart from it still swimming a little wonky as it always has done.
Im just wondering should I try and do anything about the pop eye or??? Its had this eye like this for at least a year now and is doing fine, but I feel I should, but also am not completely sure what I should do.
Any help would be appreciated thankyou :)
Pictures are attached, 2 showing eye comparison and one showing the wonky swimming :)

Attachments

• P1000760.jpg
    P1000760.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000763.jpg
    P1000763.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 97
  • P1000773.jpg
    P1000773.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 74
Honestly, if its been this way for a year or longer and the fish seems happy and active beyond this, I would just leave things be. No sense in treatment at this point in time and he likely has had the disfigured eye well before you ever received him. Due to it being a singular eye rather than both, its likely the result of some sort of injury that simply did not heal well. Just do your best to take care of him and provide a happy home. Good luck! :)

Honestly, if its been this way for a year or longer and the fish seems happy and active beyond this, I would just leave things be. No sense in treatment at this point in time and he likely has had the disfigured eye well before you ever received him. Due to it being a singular eye rather than both, its likely the result of some sort of injury that simply did not heal well. Just do your best to take care of him and provide a happy home. Good luck! :)
I was thinking pretty much the same as its had the popeye for so long and it doesnt seem to be causing any harm, but just wanted to ask for other opinions :) So yeah thankyou, pretty sure Ill just let it be, unless it starts to get worse :)

Back
Top Bottom