Possible camallanus worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came back from a week away yesterday and noticed that one of my Bolivian rams had a very thin red protrusion from its vent. After some quick research I thought it could possibly be camallanus worm. I have now noticed a similar thing in my other ram this morning. I can't get a good picture of this but both fish are accepting food and seem to be behaving normally. I guess I could be being paranoid but wondered what meds would be best to treat this if it does turn out to be an infection. Any advice on meds available in the UK would be great. Thanks

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that both rams have these worms. I have found a treatment called charnaverm and ordered it. I have a question regarding treatment though. As this treatment paralyses the worms and causes them to drop out of the fish, is it worth removing all the fish to a separate tank with no substrate and treating them there so I can see the worms as they drop. If I treat in m main tank I have a feeling that seeing the dropped worms on the dark sand will be difficult. A thoughts?

I would move the fish,then treat in the QT. because who know what it will do to your nice cycled tank?

matty2085 said:
Ok, so I'm pretty sure that both rams have these worms. I have found a treatment called charnaverm and ordered it. I have a question regarding treatment though. As this treatment paralyses the worms and causes them to drop out of the fish, is it worth removing all the fish to a separate tank with no substrate and treating them there so I can see the worms as they drop. If I treat in m main tank I have a feeling that seeing the dropped worms on the dark sand will be difficult. A thoughts?

The "Nematodes" associated with this parasite are heavily concentrated in the water column. It is essential to treat the tank. That's what I learned when I was unfortunate enough to have a run in with these horrible worms. Recently another member has been affected by these worms too, she has a thread started on her experience :( good luck!!!

Ok great. Have order some meds which are pretty hard to track down in the UK but will hopefully be effective. I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on the substrate after dosing to try to catch these monsters.

Back
Top Bottom