Possible case of dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm running a 10g tank with 2 male guppies currently.

I had 3 and recently lost one unexpectedly last week. Soon after that fish's passing I've noticed one of my other male's wasn't as active as he used to be. Now he is just hiding in an ornament, still breathing and moving his fins but doesn't swim. A few days ago I noticed he's getting bloated and his scales are starting to rise. And he doesn't seem to be eating. After doing some research, all signs point to dropsy...

Btw, my other male is still very active and has none of these symptoms.

I checked my water quality with the API master kit and I'm at 7.2 for PH and 0's for everything else. I do 20-30% WCs every week to week and a half. The tank is a little over a year old.

I use carbon in my HOB filter and I haven't changed the cartridge since I got the filter about 6 months ago. ( I was told not to) never got a clear answer on that. Not sure if a dirty filter has any thing to do with this situation.

I'd like to re-stock my tank soon. But I feel it's not a good idea at this time.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The numbers for your test shouldn't be all 0. Was it tested AFTER the pwcor before? Should have a little nitrates. Next time you test make sure to follow the shaking, timing, etc. parts of the test accurately.

Changing the cartridge isn't necessary untill the filter media starts falling apart, but cleaning/rinsing is. Just swish the media in the bucket of pwc water.

Often it is a sign of water quality issues. Though your test number don't seem to indicate that (and providing you are following the directions closely and you have a good test kit/check expiration).

EDIT- After the next time you do your pwc and test using the same water sample, double check your water test with the lfs free check.

It has been seeming that Guppies are prone to parasites or at least seem to have them often. So you could get some medicated flakes and try that. Peabody's Paradise has some for a reasonable price if you can't find them at your local fish store.

Back
Top Bottom