possible cause to dead fishies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, some of yall might know that we've been having myserious deaths with new fish. While cleaning the tank today, we found a guppie that appears to have been hiding for a while. We never had any issues with water quality, by my tests, or the LFS's. But this guppie had been gone for a few days atleast. it was already badly decayed. Could this cause new fish to die? we have lost 2 angels. 1 bgk, 1 baby platy, couple other guppies...there's no real rhyme or reason behind them...we have a tiny baby guppie we bought that is doing just fine, but the near 1 inch baby platy died...I am at a loss...

Bear

When you say that you haven't have any issues with water quality...can you post your actual params? Sometimes fluctuations can cause mysterious deaths.

Also, I wouldn't add any more fish until you get this under control and find out what is causing it. Sometimes people try to restock quickly, which in the end only causes more problems.

Is the tank planted? Wondering why you have no nitrates. Have you tested your tap water at all? A decaying fish wouldn't cause another fish to die directly. An ammonia spike resulting in fish deaths maybe. But if you say your ammonia is 0... What kind of test kit are you using and how old is it?

Zags, its a non-planted tank, and I have been curious about the lack of nitrates myself. The only time they ever showed up was during the cycle, have had none, or trace amounts since then. We test with an API master test kit, the is only a few months old, 5 at the most. I am at a loss about this myself. The only odd behavior is from Moe (my sailfin black mollie), he seems to hover in one spot, just kinda hangin out, not swimmin around like normal. only started since the pwc today...

If you lose fish after a water change, I would suspect pH as a culprit. Do you know your tap water pH and hardness?

A time line would also be helpful ie: time period between the addition of new fish and the deaths. Also, how were things prior to the new additions and what species of new fish were introduced.

Jchillin said:
A time line would also be helpful ie: time period between the addition of new fish and the deaths. Also, how were things prior to the new additions and what species of new fish were introduced.

The conditions before additions were same as after additions, all perams were 0, and ph was about 8.4ish. We added the 2 angels, a bgk, and a khuli loach. The bgk died less than 24 hours after introduction, and the angels were both gone after 48 hours, the khuli survived. 6 days later, added 3 more khuli, 1 young platy, a few fancy tail guppies, and some bleeding heart tetra's. baby platy died within 24 hours, and a fancy guppie within 48 hours. We did a regular pwc, of about 75%, and then one khuli died. the baby guppie that was a bonus, he's doing great, I would think the babies would be more fragile. The only baby lost was the platy, and the guppie was smaller. The angels we figure was ph, as the ph was in the mid to high 8's, and is now down to the mid to low 7's. Could the decaying fish raise the ph like that?

Thank you to all for the help,

Bear

The PH was over 8 then down to 7? What is the PH of your tap when left out? If it is that low then that is why you are having problems with every water change. What kind of gravel and decorations do you have?

the starting ph was around mid 7's when the tank started, and then rose to over 8 here recently. I dont know that the water change is what was changing the ph level, as the last couple tests we did was in the 7 range. Can a decaying fish raise the PH level? I am beginning to agree that ph is the culprit, but why certain fish? some that had been in the tank for a while, and some that were new...there was really no rhyme or reason

Thank you for the help

Bear

Do you get your water from a local city supply? You might check with them and see if there has been anything different or fluctuations in their water.

its all minicipal utility districts, and this one is fairly new...havent heard of any issues, but never means anything...thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom