Possible ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I've had my fair share of ich outbreaks in the past so I know how to handle it, but this time I just want an opinion or two. I recent brought home a little red cap oranda. I have been in the process of setting up a new tank for the goldfish (40g) - I also have a black moor and a fantail. I moved them into their new tank today and noticed little 'flower' has some spots. The thing is, my black moor was digging around in the sand earlier and was covered in sand for a while. The oranda does look like its got ich but it *could* be sand? It's only been since today. Opinions please? I wanted to try treating with salt this time. I do have meds in the cupboard if I need them. I don't have aquarium sand though. I have pure rock salt ( as in no additives). Would the rock salt do? And I believe it's a 0.3% dose I need? 3tsp per 10g? Is that correct? Shall I wait to see if it goes overnight before starting a treatment or shall I assume it definitely is ich and treat immediately?

Attachments

• image-2014269667.jpg
    image-2014269667.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 83
It looks like ich. The tank needs to be treated. This is why qt new fish for atleast 3-4wks is so important.

.3% salinity is 11.4grams per gallon. It needs to be predissolved in conditioned water. The salt solution needs to be added gradually over 48hrs. Very gradually! Water changes should be done frequently along with good gravel vacs. For a 50% wc, add back half of the original dose predissolved along with the new water. The salinity needs to be maintained for one week AFTER the last spot is gone. Keep a daily check on your parameters as you may see spikes in toxins. Please ask if you have questions!

It looks like ich. The tank needs to be treated. This is why qt new fish for atleast 3-4wks is so important.

.3% salinity is 11.4grams per gallon. It needs to be predissolved in conditioned water. The salt solution needs to be added gradually over 48hrs. Very gradually! Water changes should be done frequently along with good gravel vacs. For a 50% wc, add back half of the original dose predissolved along with the new water. The salinity needs to be maintained for one week AFTER the last spot is gone. Keep a daily check on your parameters as you may see spikes in toxins. Please ask if you have questions!

Thanks! I've decided I am doing the medicine route this time. Worked wonderfully in my other tank last time. My reasoning: the tank is partially cycling ( I put their old filter in the tank along with the new one to help it along) and because we're going away tomorrow for a family funeral and won't be back until Wednesday night so I can't do the salt gradually, and I wouldn't be about to watch the parameters closely. It's all incredibly bad timing, but I feel I've done the best thing in this situation. Hopefully this is the last ich I see in a long time. No more new fish! And you're right about quarantine. I didn't give him nearly enough time so I'm paying for my over-eagerness now. Lesson well and truly learned.

Back
Top Bottom