Possible ich. Fish list okay w/ salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my angel/balloon ram has ich just starting of it I've been slowly moving my temp up to 86-87 I would like to do a salt/heat method. Are my fish okay with salt? I have angel/balloon ram, apistogramma, Bolivian ram, harlequin rasboras, and a honey gourami and juvenile ob zebra and 2 nerite snails and some ghost shrimp

How much aquarium salt for a 20 gallon when treating ich? And it's suppose to be 2 weeks of heat and salt right? Do you add salt daily or just that one initial time

1 tablespoon per 5 gals. Make sure you add the salt already disolved and increase the salinity slowly. Continue to treat for atleast 7 days after symptoms are gone. When you pwc add back however much salt you removed. :)

They should be fine. Many species of ghost shrimp only reproduce in brackish conditions.

I ended up taking carbon out and using ap quick cure. I've noticed the little dot on his tail is more clear than white

I just found out I also have ich.

Can it be treated just by raising temperature to 86F and weekly 50% pwc?

Or would salt need to be a necessity? I really don't want to add any salt or chemicals.

I don't have exerience treating with heat alone, but I've heard from others on the forum it can work. Make sure you always add an airstone when increasing the temperature that much. :)

Manix said:
I just found out I also have ich.

Can it be treated just by raising temperature to 86F and weekly 50% pwc?

Or would salt need to be a necessity? I really don't want to add any salt or chemicals.

I have used the heat only method twice now and it works well. Make sure you increase aeration and keep the heat at 86F for no less than two weeks. If your fish can handle it, increase the temp to 88F for the first 3-4 days.

I don't have exerience treating with heat alone, but I've heard from others on the forum it can work. Make sure you always add an airstone when increasing the temperature that much. :)

I have used the heat only method twice now and it works well. Make sure you increase aeration and keep the heat at 86F for no less than two weeks. If your fish can handle it, increase the temp to 88F for the first 3-4 days.

Thanks to the both of you. I'll need to dig up something to increase the aeration.

I'm also thinking of using Kordon Ick Attacker since it is safe for inverts.

Manix said:
Thanks to the both of you. I'll need to dig up something to increase the aeration.

I'm also thinking of using Kordon Ick Attacker since it is safe for inverts.

It's up to you but I would try the more natural approach first. Less stressful on the fish. If you lower your water level and/or aim any powerheads or filter out takes at the surface that will help.

It's up to you but I would try the more natural approach first. Less stressful on the fish. If you lower your water level and/or aim any powerheads or filter out takes at the surface that will help.

I definitely will do that first.

Thanks (y)

mattrox said:
If you want heat only 89.6F. Make sure your fish can handle it and plenty of aeration.

Yes, even better. Ich dies at 89.5. But you'd want to watch your fish like a hawk for the first day or so to make sure they can cope with the high temps. Then slowly bring it back down to 86F after 2-3 days for the remaining 10-12 days.

Back
Top Bottom