Possible Ich or Velvet (platies)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquareBubble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So about 11 days ago, I noticed my platies (newly bought) were flashing against my filter and I thought I could see a small white dot on the tail of one of them and a little fuzzy white area just above the same fish's eye.
I read up all I could on the internet and figured it was most likely Ich or Velvet - and so have been treating them with aquarium salts ( about 12 teaspoons gradually added to my 55 litre tank ), raised the water temp and covered the tank with a towel to prevent light getting to them.
The medicine I ordered finally arrived yesterday (Waterlife: Protozin - treats Ich, Velvet and even a couple of fungal diseases)
The only problem is I'm going to be with my parents for christmas for a couple of days, and I'm not sure whether to use it straight away, or wait until I get back?
If I use it tonight/ tomorrow then I'll be able to give the right amount of dosings at the right times (A dose a day on days 1,2,3 and 6 ) - but I'm not sure if it's wise to be away from the tank and not able to check up on them whilst they're on medication?
They're still flashing today, but I'm pretty sure I can't see any white spots on them (although with the light off, it's harder to see)
Advice????

--edit--
Oh and the fuzzy white patch is no longer there either P:

Oh! One last thing - my tank has a lot of small snails in it - if the medicine kills them could it cause an ammonia spike?
If that's the case, maybe I should wait til I'm back, so I can do water changes :S
(There's no way I'd be able to get them out of there either, they're all pretty small and there's lots of them.. suppose I possibley could get a lot of them out if I used the cucumber method - but that would still mean I wouldn't be able to medicate for a few days :S

Oh. Are they unwanted snails or are they ones you put in there? This changes things slightly as you would want them removed. Hopefully someone else can put their input on the subject too. You will be there the first 3 doses, right? You could try to remove as many as you can with the cucumber method and scoop the dead ones out as you go maybe? I'm not sure if it will make your tank spike or not. Also, would you want to do water changes while medicating? Doing so will take out some of the medication.. :confused:

They came in the gravel I used to seed my tank - but I do quite like them, plus they help keep the tank clean.
There's a mixture of ramhorn and malaysian trumpet snails in there - if that makes any difference xP

I'll be at home, able to check on the tank for the rest of today and tomorrow, then my boyfriend will be able to dose/ check on them on the third day - but they're gonna be on their own for the 4th & 5th days.
Wah, I dunno if I've been umming and erring too much about it and left it too late now, it's pretty late in the day and my boyfriend's only going to be able to dose/ check on them on the morning of the 3rd day :c

Is this a new tank? Is the filter cycled? Ammonia levels high?

Back
Top Bottom