Possible Outbreak of Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
5g hexagon tank
3 embers, 2 cardinals, 3 shrimp?
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: A little under 5ppm
Temperature: 78*F
Real plants, 2 pieces of driftwood, and 10hr light exposure everyday.

Today I noticed white spots on my fish, specifically the cardinal tetras along with one of the tetras no longer having a tail fin, presumably chewed off. I'm not sure what to do anymore. We've lost 2 guppies already, and we were expecting shrimp babies with a berried shrimp, but now I can only find 2 shrimp and I'm starting to freak out. I am trying to do everything right. Just, please help.

Is it showing up like little white salt grains all over the fish? There is the heat treatment method of gradually lifting to 86F or picking up an ich med. Not sure with shrimp.

Yes. Especially on the cardinals. The embers are just barely showing a spot or two on their dorsal fins. Would it kill shrimp? Would the high temperature hurt the fish?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The shrimp won't get the ich but you have to be more careful when you go the medication route. I got it in my big tank which was super annoying. Plants so I couldn't add salt, loaches so I had to be careful, and bamboo shrimp also super sensitive to chemicals.

I ended up raising the temp to 86 and used kordons ick attack which is a natural plant based "med" and it worked for me.

My bamboo were ok with heat so as long as you do it slowly it should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't bother with high temps.. High temps in my experience does nothing to ich and I have lost fish going that route.. I use Marinelands Ich remedy sold in petsmart.. Cures my ich in a week or less all the time.. and I have ghost shrimp and nerite snails and otto and cories and they are fine

Back
Top Bottom