Possible Swim Bladder Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry reposting with a new title hoping I can get some help.

I have 2 fancy goldfish in a 25 gallon. I have had them for 6 months. I feed them NLS pellets.

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

My Ryukin has an issue that whenever he eats the NLS pellets he then hovers at the top almost like he cannot stop floating. He fights to get to the bottom but just floats right back up. This lasts around 4 hours then he is fine.

I have tried feeding them peas. I have tried not feeding them for 3 days. I have tried soaking the food for ten minutes before feeding. I also fed them nothing but peas for 4 days. Nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This started about 3 weeks ago.

Also if I feed him peas and thawed brine shrimp he does not have this issue. Only with the NLS.

This doesn't sound like a swim bladder issue but seems like the NLS is giving the fish gas and causing the fish to rise to the surface, which would also explain why the other foods don't cause that reaction. Are you using floating of sinking pellets? I always prefer sinking personally due to all the issues with swim bladder problems with floating foods.

I use sinking pellets, I have been soaking them as well. It's odd because they have been eating NLS for 4 months now.

Normally with lower grade foods that use low quality fillers can result in air being trapped in the GI tract system but that's not the case with NLS pellets so I'm leaning towards something being off with fish. A easy test would switching foods temporarily to see if they react the same with other pellets(I would ask your LFS for samples then you would not have to waste money) try that for 7 days to see if it's the food or the fish.

I will try some different foods I think that is a good idea.

As of today they are going on a Brineshrimp/ pea diet for a bit till I can figure this out.

Ok what the heck... I fed him 2 Omega One pellets no issue. I think I may write a email to NLS and ask for some advice.

I've been feeding NLS exclusively for years from tropicals, africans, and SA/CA cichlids with zero issues. I'm afraid I don't have alot of experience with goldfish so I can't comment any further but I would continue the experiment for a couple of weeks prior to making any conclusion. I would feed pellets from each company for three days then fast a day and switch to the NLS pellets and repeat for two weeks to confirm it's the food. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

What kinda of NLS pellets are u feeding because im feeding my goldfish NLS goldfish pellets 3mm. And I'm having the same problem! My goldfish would continue to gasp for air after eating resulting in constipation or SWD! :(

Hubert90 said:
What kinda of NLS pellets are u feeding because im feeding my goldfish NLS goldfish pellets 3mm. And I'm having the same problem! My goldfish would continue to gasp for air after eating resulting in constipation or SWD! :(

Yeah they are NLS 3mm sinking.

Attachments

• image-3705982907.jpg
    image-3705982907.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 76
So far I am only feeding them peas, Omega One Sinking, and brine shrimp and there are no issues

Today after feeding Omega One pellets I am having the same issue

Same issue no matter what kind of pellet I give. I wonder how hard or expensive the gel food is

I am having this same problem with one of my goldfish. Different food did not make a difference. Could it be an internal infection?

I am thinking of trying some medicated food as well. Not sure if that will help but not sure what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom