possibly columnaris ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

A few guppies have greyish patches on their sides, others have seemingly colorless patches on their sides and tails

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Amm: 0
nI: 0
nA: 15
temp: 80
pH: 7.4

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

10g, set up for about 4 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

It's an old walmart kit, with an HOB filter for 10, not sure of the gph or brand

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

I have 5 f wild guppies, 1 m fancy guppy, and 10-15 fry that are about 1-2 weeks old, 2 ADFs, 5 ghost shrimp, some ramshorn and MT snails

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I do a 25-30% pwc once or twice a week, my last one was on Monday, and I did about 30% with a gravel vac

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had the guppies for about 4 months (I jump started the cycle with seeded gravel and filter media) but I did add another fancy male who died in about a week, and that was about 1 week ago. Nothing was visibly wrong with him (ie there were no patches like these have now)

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

nothing new

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I feed a mix of live bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, and flake food for tropical fish, I think the brand is Wardleys.

***From what I can tell, I think it is columnaris, but I am not sure. I just looked at some websites just now...but yesterday when I first noticed it I added salt, 1tbsp/gal and melafix, which is all I had on hand. What should I do? I am not really attatched to the guppies, but I'd like them to make it through (as I am having fun mixing and playing with crossing different kinds of guppies) but I am really concerned about my MTS colony. I have probably 50 or so in there of all sizes, and I really don't want to loose them! Please help asap! =)

Sounds like it to me, my molly female got it after she gave birth (stress from pregnancy i'm guessing) and died from it. She was a dalmation molly, had a big bare white spot on her side. Kinda sounds like what you have. I don't know if it's called columnaris but probably ^^;

Could it be this?

Trichodina
Trichodina is generally not visible and it is only once the attack has become overwhelming that symptoms appear. Symptoms include:

Grey film on the skin and gills
Gasping at the surface
Loss of weight and failure to take food
Skin erosion
Rubbing on objects

Might be velvet? Guppies seem prone to velvet. Do the fish itch? Do they seem like they are darting around and scraping themselves against stuff? If it is velvet it is very contagious.

They aren't itchy, no darting or scratching on the gravel or plants. They are also eating just about the same as before, maybe slightly less, and their activity level is only slightly decreased. Other than that, a few have the grey patches, and a few have the white patches... :( That's all that is abnormal.

I read that culmnaris is a gram neg bacteria, so it needs a gram neg antibiotic, and it is suggested to use Copper sulfate, Acriflavine, Furan, or Terramycin. My big question is which is best, and will any of them effect my MTS?

EDIT: I also just read :
Symptoms: thick greyish-white marks around mouth or body of fish
Diagnosis: Mouth or Body Fungus, actually a bacterial disease usually caused by the bacterium Flexibacter.
Treatment: A proprietary antibiotic containing erythromycin.

will erythromycin harm my MTS?

If I were you, try to get your hands on some Kanacyn (kanamycin) first. Erythromycin can do harm to your biological filter, more so than Kanacyn. Kanamycin can be found in a medicated food form also, that is just as effective, if not moreso than just treating the water column.

As far as them harming your MTS, I would remove them anyways. Most meds claim that they don't, but...just to be safe, I'd remove them to a seperate tank if you can.

Also, you might want to look into dropping your temperature a bit, to around 75 -76 degrees. The bacteria can spread and develop faster, at higher temps.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom