Possibly Ill Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So we introduced some extra tetras to our tank yesterday to increase the shoal size but one seems to have discolouration (pictured) This wasn’t there initially but seems to be increasing in size. can anyone suggest what may be causing it?

Tank is 240 litres, has been set up for a few months and has a settled community of cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, dwarf gouramis, 2 very young angel fish, and a young rainbow shark

IMG_8889.jpg

That looks like Neon Tetra Disease. ( It affects other tetra species as well). A fish contracts the disease by nipping / eating A dead tankmate that died from the disease.
It would be best to euthanize the fish ASAP, there is no cure.

If you have any way to separate that fish from the rest you should. I’m not the best with diagnosis. I’ve never had a neon live with what that one has. Worse yet, if it dies and the others eat it they will suffer the same fate

Sorry v. I think we were typing at the same time. I agree, ntd or something similar

Thanks for the advice all, we quarantined this fish shortly after posting here and found it had died when I came down this morning (time zone differences meant I didn’t see your advice unfortunately)

We have done a large water change on the tank and will continue to do them regularly to remove any remnants lurking in the water, and will monitor all the other fish for symptoms

Thanks again,
Rob

Good luck! Keep a close eye on this

I don’t buy neons anymore because of this.

I agree, Neons and Cardinals are aquatic wimps. Even some of AA' s best aqua gardeners have had large die-offs keeping these fish. Although I'll admit that a large healthy school
of either look great in a planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom